Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampirism - feeding makes you slower?  (Read 1813 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampirism - feeding makes you slower?
« on: February 17, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »

I've noticed that, for one of my vampiric characters, once they reached "thirsty!" status, their speed lowered a bit. Puzzled as to why drinking blood didn't help, I went and found out you have to suck the blood directly from living things. So I went and did this and the speed got even lower. I started off at like 1700, as a vampire reached 2000 without feeding, and once I fed I got around 1200 permanently.

I tried this with another character and it turns out it permanently goes to around 1200 when feeding for the first time. Is this supposed to happen or is this a bug? I find it a bit weird for a vampire to be slower than the mortal equivalent.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampirism - feeding makes you slower?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:40 pm »

My speed lists 1280, but I still seem to have 1900+
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:29:23 pm »

I found this too, I had a guy with base speed 2074 (somehow), he didn't get any increase when he became a vampire, but then when he fed he dropped to 1280. I don't know if he slowed down in reality, but people did seem to be able to catch him quite a bit easier afterwards.

EDIT: Well, I savescummed and didn't feed, not the thirsty thing reads "THRISTY!" and my speed is 1908
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:16:19 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 04:39:32 pm »

I dropped from 1600ish to 1200ish upon my first meal.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »

Maybe it's the "fit in with people mode"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46:43 pm »

AHA! I think I know why it happens. Your teeth grow huge, which probably weighs you down a bit, slowing you.

[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
         [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:DRINKING_BLOOD:1:NONE:REQUIRED]
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:07 pm »

What if there is a bug and the teeth become really large and heavy, moreso than Toady intended, slowing you down? We'd have to knock some vampire teeth out and measure them.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

Can one knock out one's own teeth? Ironic, a toothless vampire. If that affects all your teeth, it looks like you get 36, and default size is 1, 10 for 'fangs', (relsize?). If all 36 grew 15000%....5400 units there.
A humanooid body's combined relsize is 4000.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:34:41 pm »

i feel like the interactions aren't 100% ironed out yet, so that even if you did knock out your teeth upon feeding they woudl grow back.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »

Can one knock out one's own teeth? Ironic, a toothless vampire. If that affects all your teeth, it looks like you get 36, and default size is 1, 10 for 'fangs', (relsize?). If all 36 grew 15000%....5400 units there.
A humanooid body's combined relsize is 4000.

I... just... image of a new vampire, after taking his first drink, suddenly faceplanting and being unable to move since his jaw now weighs 200lb...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Litral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:22 am »

AHA! I think I know why it happens. Your teeth grow huge, which probably weighs you down a bit, slowing you.

[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
         [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:DRINKING_BLOOD:1:NONE:REQUIRED]

:O So that's what it is... I was quite annoyed by the fact that being a vampire actually weakens me in terms of speed. I then savescummed and tried to stop myself from drinking, but then I accidentally bit someone in battle and apparently that counts too.

By my estimate these vampiric teeth are heavier than twenty bronze breastplates.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 12:58:15 am »

Just did some arena mode testing with a custom interaction that grows teeth by the same amount in the vampire raw - the weight of the teeth that were knocked out is still reasonable. I think some other factor is at play, perhaps regarding your "disguise mode" changes while a vampire.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:57 am »

Just did some arena mode testing with a custom interaction that grows teeth by the same amount in the vampire raw - the weight of the teeth that were knocked out is still reasonable. I think some other factor is at play, perhaps regarding your "disguise mode" changes while a vampire.

Hmm, odd, I thought I had that right. And the mental imagery was awesome.... oh well.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:12:03 am »

Dwarf Fortress: where "Ultimate power!" becomes ".... must seem average at all costs!"
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 02:51:31 am »

Maybe its because vampires disguise themselves as normal and move as slow as normal people do? Aka, you move in average agility instead of superhuman or something?