Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well-posed problems  (Read 1323 times)

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well-posed problems
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

I've recently downloaded this game, and it looks quite amazing.  I've been playing through the first few months a couple times, but I've yet to get a solid feel for the game (like last time, while digging channels, I incapacitated two of my miners), and I haven't truly figured out how flood gates and some other things work yet.  I have a couple questions, mostly about the wells.

1. I mostly am embarking to flatter, woodsy places, and am having trouble figuring out how to make a well properly.  The problem mostly comes from I don't know how to redirect water from the brook/river without killing some dwarfs or flooding my entire fortress.

2. Is there an easy-ish way to make an underground reservoir?

3.  I've seen some above-ground fortresses with walls around them; is there a way to do this besides b -> C -> w for each and every square?

Thank you in advance.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Well-posed problems
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

Welcome to the DF fourms!
1: As of v.33e, water finds it's own level. I discovered this myself in a messy situation. There are a few ways around this. I either build on the water's level or use buckets and the 'pond' system to build a reservoir where I want it (for that see below). See the Wiki for a lot of information about that, and just about everything else.
2:For ponds, pits, reservoirs, meeting halls, and several other functions, you need the activity zones menu, using the 'i' key. You can place these like a stockpile and set a number of different types. See nullthis page for details.
3: If, only, if only...
should be sometime in the future.

Again, welcome to DF!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well-posed problems
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

A good way to safely access water is to dig out a tunnel right upto your water source then go up a Z level and use the dig channel (d--h IIRC) to dig out the last tile and connect them together.