Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeds disappearing?  (Read 4916 times)

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeds disappearing?
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

I'm just doing the usual: I plant the plump helmet spawn, I harvest the helmets, I make them into booze. In the last version, this resulted in a ridiculous amount of plump helmet spawn, so much I had to start cooking them. In this version, the seeds just aren't multiplying like usual. They're not being cooked, I'm sure. The helmets have all been cooked, eaten, or brewed. Any ideas as to where my seeds are going? I need them!!!

Thanks in advance.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
Re: Seeds disappearing?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

Could it be that your kitchen had helmet spawn set cookable or brewable?

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

I was wondering about this, actually, if I'm cooking the majority of my plump helmets now (finally got a decent cook) will I have to acquire spawn from the caravans to supplement my decreasing seed reserve? Is there anything I can do to generate extra spawn on the side, aside from eating it raw? My dwarves simply adore their prepared meals.

Mith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

It depends on what sort of returns you're getting from farming.  A seed will generate one stack of plants, so skilled planters or fertilization will get you bigger stacks, reducing the percentage you need to eat raw or brew to reclaim seeds.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

you know the new reporting of stocks had me confused a few times.  One moment i was like MEAT: 100(?) and I kept checking it and it was still MEAT: 100(?) when all of the sudden it became MEAT: 0  That happened a few times when playing on a glacier map.  100 Meat didn't seem to last too long, so I was wondering if it was disappearing or not.  I know what the (?) means but usually it goes down to like 40(?) 20(?) and so on.  This was a drop from 100 to 0, in what seemed like a short time.  Not too big of a problem since there is sand near riverbanks, so I can grow a steady supply of food right away.  Still, I too wonder if things might be disapearing?  I also don't remember taking out a 100 spoiled meats to the refuse pile either.

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

Well, I know they're set to not be cooked or brewed. It be the skilled harvesters thing. I wasn't aware that affected anything besides the speed of the harvest.

Just to clarify, the more skilled my planters and harvesters are, the more seeds I get?

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

yuppers.  I usually have a farmer with his skills maxed out.  In the old game I had two farmers with their skills maxed out.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

I thought stocks were only averaged to the nearest 10 or 100 unless you had a well-tended bookkeeper.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

Ah yeah, planting skill would be my problem.

I recently assigned two peasants to the fields to supplement my skilled farmer, and I assume they're producing inferior stacks.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 01:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Nightmare:
<STRONG>I thought stocks were only averaged to the nearest 10 or 100 unless you had a well-tended bookkeeper.

LN</STRONG>

That could explain it.  But doesn't a book keeper give you your whole numbers or just a guestimation like 20(?)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 06:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gangsta Spanksta:
<STRONG>you know the new reporting of stocks had me confused a few times.  One moment i was like MEAT: 100(?) and I kept checking it and it was still MEAT: 100(?) when all of the sudden it became MEAT: 0  That happened a few times when playing on a glacier map.  100 Meat didn't seem to last too long, so I was wondering if it was disappearing or not.  I know what the (?) means but usually it goes down to like 40(?) 20(?) and so on.  This was a drop from 100 to 0, in what seemed like a short time.  Not too big of a problem since there is sand near riverbanks, so I can grow a steady supply of food right away.  Still, I too wonder if things might be disapearing?  I also don't remember taking out a 100 spoiled meats to the refuse pile either.</STRONG>

While the point made about inaccurate counts is true, however I have noticed meat and fish rotting even in barrels recently, especially on glacier maps. I usually bring 100+ turtle with me and I have noticed that more often than not they end up rotting in the stockpile and leaving giant piles of bones and shells.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gangsta Spanksta:
<STRONG>

That could explain it.  But doesn't a book keeper give you your whole numbers or just a guestimation like 20(?)</STRONG>

Nope, Hit N and scroll down to the book keeper, then hit S for settings and choose the accuracy level you want your book keeper to keep. I think it's accurate each level increasing by place. So accurate up to 10->100->1000->10000->full accuracy. If you want to be efficient you can micro manage based on your stocks. My clerk is on the last option and he works pretty hard on those stockbooks, with a hefty skillgain to boot. I'm really liking the new noble system for how controllable and helpful these guys are!

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: SheepishOne ]

You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

Note that stocks aren't accurate to 10 or 100 or whatever. They're precise to 1, 2, 3, 4, and then all digits.

The distinction is subtle but important. You should never be so victimised by gross rounding. Unless there was some food that was out of the stockpile(at which point I don't think barrels help but I'm not sure), I can't figure why it would suddenly drop to zero without going through all the 10s.

Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

Though I doubt it'd cause 100 units of meat to vanish right away, if meat is cooked it is listed as Other, right?
quote:
however I have noticed meat and fish rotting even in barrels recently,
Even with the stockpiles being out of the way so noone steps on them?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.