Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thiefs!  (Read 1952 times)

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thiefs!
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

I've been swarmed by Kobold thiefs. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them ( I don't know how to make traps). I don't have war dogs and I have no clue about how to draft someone in the guard.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Thiefs!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Drafting: Hit [v], move the cursor to where it picks up a dwarf, hit [p], [shift + a]. They are now a soldier and will run over and beat down the kobolds (the kobold thieves are ridiculously puny, don't worry about them fighting back). When you're done, repeat the same process and it will un-draft them.

Alternately, hit [m] to bring up the military screen and you can just go up and down the menu drafting/deactivating soldiers with [a], but that's less useful for something like this since you can't see who's close to the kobolds.

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

Thanks.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Kobold theives can bypass traps (though Goblin Child snatchers don't once discovered). You could additionally use War dogs tied up with ropes/restraints at key entrances so that when kobolds come running back through, the dogs stop them. (Since if your military is chasing them, you won't normally catch them)

polypusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

Does anyone have further advice on stopping thieves? My fortress has 2 entrances, both pretty highly trafficked, but kobold thieves are having their way with my valuables. Most of the highest quality stuff is stored in a vault which is pretty isolated. That might be part of the problem, too few dwarves around to have a chance of noticing the thief.

I don't have any dogs, just horses and elephants. Is a chained elephant a plausible substitute for a wardog?  :)

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »

It is if you mod the raws so that elephants are trainable.   ;)

In fact, if you do that they'd be even better than a wardog then..

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

2 entrances is, generally speaking, probably a bad idea. If you have only 1, you can set up a meeting area ('i', place it, then 'm' I think) at it. Anyone who is idle and all of your loose stray animals will hang out there. Makes it pretty much impossible for anything to sneak inside. You could try that with a meeting area at each entrance, just make them pretty small; that might force idlers/animals to split between the 2.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

jdtower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 12:14:00 pm »

I have 2 entrances in my fort as well because my main water source was a few z-levels down and I didnt want my dwarfs wondering around outside looking for ramps to get to it. For some reason all the baddies seem to sneak into the entrance with about 6 dogs and 3 soldiers outside (meeting zone) as opposed to the other with just 2 soldiers and no dogs. I watch as they're torn limb from limb. Theres actually a rather large mess of blood out there now > :D.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

If you don't want them bothering you for a while (or ever) you can edit the init file to [INVADERS:NO].  I wanted to try something without the goblins pestering me for a while, and to my surprise this also seems to prevent thieves.  It doesn't prevent Dragons though.

If things get dull later you can always edit the invaders back in once your defenses are ready.