Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legacy or SDL?  (Read 981 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legacy or SDL?
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:17 pm »

I am not good with this stuff, so please bear with me.

I read up and kind of understand that the two are different in the platforms they work for, but my understanding sharply drops there. I posted to really understand which of the two I should be using from the CaptMayDay "large address aware" exes, SDL or Legacy. I assume my computer is important in this, so here goes:

Window Vista Home Premium 64-bit
24g of RAM (tri-channel)
8 thread 3.7GHz processor (4 virtual)
(While I doubt this is important) GeForce 4g RAM GTX 560 Ti

While I really only NEED to know which exe to use, I'm more than happy to read a deeper explanation on the difference between the two. Like, for example, what SDL even stands for. Thanks guys.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy or SDL?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »

Use SDL unless it doesn't work for you (but on any modern hardware it will work).

The SDL version uses newer display/graphics code made by Baughn. The name SDL comes from SDL library (Simple DirectMedia Layer) that is used for display. This version should be noticably faster in most cases. It also has additional features like the ingame zooming.

The legacy version is a version using old graphics code from Toady, made long before SDL version. It is slower and has no additional features like zooming.
The reason why version with legacy graphics code is still maintained is because for 0.001% people SDL version doesn't work while legacy version works for them. It mostly concerns people with very old hardware etc.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.