Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stay away from castles!  (Read 2230 times)

glinmaleldur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stay away from castles!
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:47:03 am »

I played a fortress last night in the new version as was able to get it up to about 30 dwarves before three ambushes took me by suprise. No slow down problems. Playing adventurer today, and when I hit a castle zone I am able to take about one in-game step every 5-10 real life seconds. Haven't played adventurer much - is it that much more computer intensive or are castles just full of stuff to move around and keep track of?
Anyone else having massive lag in specific areas?
Also had a CTD while exploring the fort I abandoned, but I was doing lots of other stuff on the computer at the time so there's no science there.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Stay away from castles!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:41 am »

It looks like Adventure Mode is much more ressource hungry than Fortress Mode.
I never played Adventure mode seriously before DF2012 , but as most of the update was for it, i was curious and started exploring more in depth.
Ouch, each 15 or 20 seconds of my character moving it looks like it generates a big lag, pausing the game for a second or sometime two, then it comes back at full speed, then a dozen of seconds later, same thing.
It does not seem much related to the immediate population proximity, as  i noticed this when there was nothing around me, and the exact same when i was fighting a pack of wolf.

So i guess going in very populated areas must be even more heavy on the computer ressources.
I hope somehow the situation will improve with future versions, but it's a pity to experience this problem when the game is that interesting.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:52:10 am »

Don't go to the marketplace near morning.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:04 am »

I have no such problems, are you playing it on an old rig?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »

"old rig" eh?
Dual core 3.2Ghz, doesn't seem like an old rig to me, it could handle 80 FPS with 100 dwarves on a 4x4 map without any problem.

Now, I am reduced at forcefully closing the game because in adventurer mode, there are places that lag so much that I have to wait a full 15 seconds between two moves when nearing a city castle mainly, and in the markets when merchants wakes up.

Please Toady, don't make the game try to update so many entities at once, it is just not playable as is right not (and without Therapist, playing fortress mode is a little too much abut searching a dwarf for half an hour in a list...).

Aside from that, it is funny how we previously started with food and water and never needed them, while we now have nothing and badly need it quite often.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »

I never played Adventure mode seriously before DF2012 , but as most of the update was for it, i was curious and started exploring more in depth.
Ouch, each 15 or 20 seconds of my character moving it looks like it generates a big lag, pausing the game for a second or sometime two, then it comes back at full speed, then a dozen of seconds later, same thing.
It does not seem much related to the immediate population proximity, as  i noticed this when there was nothing around me, and the exact same when i was fighting a pack of wolf.

So i guess going in very populated areas must be even more heavy on the computer ressources.
I hope somehow the situation will improve with future versions, but it's a pity to experience this problem when the game is that interesting.

That's just the game loading a new section of the map. It's probably a bit slower now because all the items in a site are saved but usually it's not so bad and you get used to it.

To the OP: I've found that keeping worldgen to around 100 years brings the city lag to a manageable level while still being long enough for interesting things to happen.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:03:01 pm »

ESPECIALLY if you use soundsense, it is as though all the market rabble are declaring an invasion...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:56 pm »

>Play DF2010
>Play DF2012

Be shocked

Totte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:26:44 pm »

Mabe there is a king inside a castle that wears 1 million jewels each finger. Might that eat youre computer?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:09:33 am »

I definitely experience a hell of a lot of lag when I'm near the keep at the center of a town.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 02:57:56 am »

Protip: go into hiding and the vendors don't call to you.

And while I've been getting those lags occasionally, the game is running Adventure mode at least as well as it always has. My computer is new, but not that great (processor is an i5 2400; 4 cores) and frequently got potential FPS way way higher than the cap (often in excess of 1000, even in towns).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:03:23 am by Knigel »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:50 am »

Yeah, I asked about "old rig" because my DF2012 adventure mode in a city runs faster than DF2010 adventure mode in wild areas. Maybe you had something happening underground, like magmafalls.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository