Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploding dogs?  (Read 1695 times)

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploding dogs?
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

I just started a brand new fortress, and I took along four war dogs.  Before I could even finish unloading the cart, ALL four dogs died at the exact same moment.  They all bled to death, leaving corpses scattered over an area about 30 tiles in diameter.  No enemies were in sight.

What the heck might have happened?  There are no messages in the announcements page other than "Stray war dog has bled to death (x4)".

The location was a Terrifying mountain in a freezing temperature.  Could the climate have something to do with it?

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding dogs?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

Are you running a mod?  From what I understand, the temperature settings are completely non-intuitive -- meaning, it's really easy to make something explode into flame and freeze solid simultaneously, without meaning to.  Search for a post about 'boiling vomit' to get the details.  :)

If you're not running a mod... I got nuthin'.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

its the freezing temperature.  They couldn't stand the cold.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

No I don't think it's temperature. The dogs would have freezed, not bled to death.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

No, I'm not running any sort of mod.  Only the latest version (33e) of Dwarf Fortress.

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 10:38:00 am »

Ive had something similar though it wasn't instantaneous, Though all of my animals froze to death but the announcement said they bled to death.

What I think happened is that their paws got frostbite and couldn't heal because it was too cold so it kept on reinjuring them so they just bled out. Or so I think, Ive had it happen to my adventurers before.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Maybe their tongues stuck to the ice and when they pulled away, it lacerated their tongues and they bled out.