Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ain't Martial Trances Grand?  (Read 872 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ain't Martial Trances Grand?
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »

So there I was, unable to find shelter before the night hit, so of course bogeymen were chasing me. Many. I knew I didn't stand a chance what with my character just starting off, so I began running.

And running. More running. Every once in a while when a bogeyman caught up I'd attack once to knock him over, so I could continue running. I swear I went about a quarter to a third of the world away (it's a pocket world), then I got an announcement.

YES! "Maybe", I thought, "just maybe, now I have a chance at fighting these fools off." So I begin my attack. This is what ensued.

To sum it up, I stabbed FIVE bogeymen IN HALF. I hadn't killed anything else with this character, and he was hero, not demi-god.
I don't mean to sound braggy, but I just wanted to share my happiness. I love this game so much :D

Also, this is my first post. I've been here for a while, just never felt like piping up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:23:49 am by pbnjoe »

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ain't Martial Trances Grand?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:35:53 pm »

Its little moments like that that make DF such an enduring bit of entertainment.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:37:20 pm »

Awesome trance is awesome. When my character get into a trance I always throw myself on the enemies to inflict huge amount of decapitations.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:25 am »

Apparently creatures can't get enough of dying from me. After that big battle I decided to go to sleep since I was sure bogeymen wouldn't attack again. I was woken up by a pack of 4 dingos ::) so I promptly laid a beat down on them. I hadn't realized my trance ended, but it didn't matter.

Basically what I did was wait for them to approach me. The first dingo that made it to me had its paw lopped off, and so it passed out from pain. The next one to arrive got its upper body slashed, and it passed out right next to its buddy. By then I was surrounded, so I moved a bit over and killed the other two with a couple slashes and stabs. I then walked over to the passed out dingos and stomped their heads.

I sure hope this adventurer survives for me to retire him. I want to read his legends entry and have him appear in fortress mode :)

EDIT: Just remembered you can butcher animals. I'm now enjoying dingo roast (well, heated dingo meat) seated by my campfire. After this maybe I can get some sleep.

EDIT AGAIN: More to add to the kill count. Tried to take a nap again, but two dingos and two enraged badgers came after me. My dwarf once again entered a trance, and when the first dingo arrived, I stabbed and decapitated it. The other dingo ran away. Then I chopped both badgers in half. I'll never need to find food again.

Urist McMartialTrance cancels Sleep: needs more Dead Foes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:42:26 am by pbnjoe »