Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deconstructing Furniture  (Read 1952 times)

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Deconstructing Furniture
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:11:00 am »

So, one of my fish cleaners was struck with a fey mood, and she's taken over a craftsdwarf's shop.  Her needs are simple: wood log, rough cut gem (I'd struck some just a scant few weeks before), and plant fiber cloth.  Easy enough, right?

The problem is, it's the middle of winter and I've used up all my cloth-related plants on bags.  She's going to go nuts and starve in her locked-up workshop if I can't get her something so simple as plant fiber cloth.

Someone said it was possible to break down bags, but I don't think that's true... is it?  Is it possible to break down any items into their constituent parts (e.g. a bed back into wood logs)?  If so, which items and how do I access it?

Derp.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: Deconstructing Furniture
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:00 am »

I won't swear on it, but I don't think you can deconstruct bags or beds.

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

As far as I know, only metal items can be (m)elted back to their component parts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:37:00 am »

No you can't turn bags back to cloth. What you can do, is farm some rope reeds outside. They grow all four seasons. But your map will have to have the right biome for them to grow. Give it a try, if you don't have the seeds, harvest some herbs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mwoody450:
<STRONG>As far as I know, only metal items can be (m)elted back to their component parts.</STRONG>

And you only get 1/3 of the material back, at that.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I do have some rope reed I'm trying to grow, but I don't think I'll get it harvested in time to save the dwarf from madness.  I also didn't know about the 1/3 from melting bit; I'll keep an eye on that in the future.
Derp.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

Say, one quick question as long as this is here: if I designate a bed for removal, will I get a bed that can be re-placed or just nothing at all?

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Reasonableman ]

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »

If you deconstruct furniture, the furniture just gets hauled back to the stockpile.  Or, if there isn't space in the stockpile, it will simply sit there.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.