Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What exactly are the effects of the no. weapons?  (Read 2481 times)

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What exactly are the effects of the no. weapons?
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

Do they simply carry around two of the same weapon?

Do they wield two weapons at once?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly are the effects of the no. weapons?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

Yes, no.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

To confirm what I was told elsewhere: setting weapon #'s to 2 disables the shield, right?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mwoody450:
<STRONG>To confirm what I was told elsewhere: setting weapon #'s to 2 disables the shield, right?</STRONG>

If I remember right,they do not duel wield, so the shield would not be unequipped  .

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:30:00 am »

We need some Dwarven berserkers, wading into battle with twin battle axes carving a bloody path for him to walk upon.

I mean, really...  How can you not have that?

Well, it's good that this was answered, I've been wondering the same thing myself.  Pity it turned out this way though.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

I am not sure, but I always thought that it's an option to allow dwarves to fight with two weapons. One in each hands.

I never tried myself, a shield is way more usefull in 90% of the time. And it's your last defense against ranged weapons. That alone is enough a reason in the current version.

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: Eagle of Fire ]

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:47:00 am »

Eagle:

quote:
raison

Yer French is showing!

:)

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

Erm... Huh what?

*whisles innocently*

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:44:00 am »

It allows them to keep an extra weapon in case their weapon gets stuck in an opponent.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:00 am »

Too bad that there is no way to tell marksdwarves to carry a spear or a shortsword with them. Just in case. They often like melee so much that after shooting all 1-5 bolts they carry with them they charge forward.

Does second weapon option cause marksdwarves to carry second crossbow with them?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 09:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Another:
<STRONG>Too bad that there is no way to tell marksdwarves to carry a spear or a shortsword with them. Just in case. They often like melee so much that after shooting all 1-5 bolts they carry with them they charge forward. </STRONG>

A generally easy way to fix them charging at an enemy is to station the marksdwarves a bit away until they shoot, and then set them to stay at station and not chase opponents.

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Another:
<STRONG>Too bad that there is no way to tell marksdwarves to carry a spear or a shortsword with them</STRONG>

When they run out of bolts, marksdwarves will beat the enemy over the head with their crossbows which, oddly enough, uses the Hammer skill.

So, if you turn your nascent Marksdwarves into Hammerdwarves first (perhaps while training them to be competent armor users, as well), then they'll be more effective once they've emptied their quivers.

Patryn of Elvenshae