Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chance for reversal?  (Read 1939 times)

Nik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chance for reversal?
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

I started my new fortress with tips from the wiki, mainly, have a miner train in organizer and judge of intent, etc.  This was about a week ago, now my fortress is doing well, best I've built ever, and my miner is legendary and overall kickass.

Except he's a mayor now.  Is there any way I can reverse this?  I don't want to lose a legendary mayor to noble-itis, or is this for the most part harmless and he will eventually return to normal?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Chance for reversal?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

Unless you don't plan on giving into his demands for some gneiss mugs, don't worry.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

I check my starting dwarves likes before assigning one social skills. If he likes something mundane like copper or iron - he gets to be mayor. Nothing difficult about meeting mandates for copper or iron items! Still, even if your mayor has exotic tastes, you can prepare for the worst by importing whatever he likes in preparation.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:01:00 am »

I can't stress how important it is that your nobles like mundane items.

The difference between a mandate for backpacks and for adamantium is huge.

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:00 am »

I just ignore mandates most of the time.

Doesnt seem to do anything with this 'work order violation' bullshit, since I normally have at least three dwarves doing the same job.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 06:46:00 am »

quote:
The difference between a mandate for backpacks and for adamantium is huge.

I heard the oddest thing about adamantium mandates being correlated to sudden bouts of drowning, burning or falling down chasms.

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 06:46:00 am »

If you ignore mandates, people get punished by the hammerer, and you're likely to lose a lot of skilled dwarves that way.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 07:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Javis:
<STRONG>If you ignore mandates, people get punished by the hammerer, and you're likely to lose a lot of skilled dwarves that way.</STRONG>

Lock him in a room with statues, a bed, and lots of food and water.  He'll live out the rest of his natural life ecstatic and harmless.

Combine that with never building a jail or assigning any fortress guards or a sheriff, and the only concern with ignoring mandates is slightly unhappy nobles - rarely an issue.