Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: noble problems  (Read 1080 times)

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
noble problems
« on: August 13, 2006, 11:52:00 am »

I'd dearly like to know what the purpose of some of the nobles is supposed to be in the fortress. Like this House Ber fellow who just showed up on my doorstep with about 7 other nobles all demanding huge quarters and getting them now.

Also, where might i see the requests that are made of the mayor, so that i might try to fulfill his mandate to satisfy the above mentioned Ber fellow?

And finally, can we PLEASE have a cap on the number of nobles we get in a single migration? I simply don't have the ability to satisfy even half of what i have now.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: noble problems
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »

The requests made of the mayor are invisible until the mayor decides to make them into mandates.  Those appear as normal on the [n]oble screen.  The mayor will only act on a few of the requests, and the other groups will become angry.  The purpose of these Ber type nobles is to advocate for their respective groups (you can see the groups on the wage screen accessible from the manager...  [j][m][w] perhaps), although some nobles are virtually useless.  Noble deaths have a large effect on migration though, so it's important to at least try to keep them alive, and to bravely dig deeper still!

Anticipating noble arrival gets to be part of the game, having rooms prepared in advance and so on, although if it turns out to be unbalancedly harsh in places, I can consider being somewhat reasonable about the noble influx sizes.  Right now, they just come when you qualify for them.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »

in the last migration i got the Mayor, Baron+Consort, the Trade Minister, the Guard captian+ Hammerer, and the Ber leader, as well as replacement Bookeepers and Managers (Who got killed by a tantrum of the Sherrif, who i have yet to receive a replacment for.) I'd consider myself in extreme difficulty just to satisfy the Mayor and the Minister, let alone the Baron  and his company. So yeah, i'd prefer somewhat limiting noble migration.

Also, when the mayor gave me his mandate, all i saw was "satisfy Ber requests", with absolutely no indication on his screen or the Ber's as to what those requests were.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: ussdefiant ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »

He he, Ber is the dwarvish word for earth, and these are farming jobs (including brewing and cooking).  House Fer are animal jobs (all the butchery, taming, processing, whatever).  I think those are the only ones that don't have normal guild names.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!