Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm Plots... no seeds.  (Read 3266 times)

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm Plots... no seeds.
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

I seem to have problems with seemly easy things lately and unable to use the search funciton wisely since I can't find anything with it...

In the latest version (e), I can't seem to get farm plots to work anymore... my usual tactic was to make a room bordering a pond or river with damp soil and make a plot there.  Now, twice tried and ready to give up, I've done this in the new version and I get the message "No Seeds Available" and I've got a stack of 50 within 5 squares from the farm area.

What noob thing am I doing wrong here? It's on soil like it usually is, I even tried fertalizing it  :(

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm Plots... no seeds.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Did you make sure that the seeds you have are of the right kind? (subterranean/normal, correct biome)

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

well, now I'm confused even more, none of my fortress is Subterranean...

I'll have to dig every level a little to see whats up.  I've always be able to make farmplots on the leave below the ground where the river is...

Half my fortress is even marked Above Ground* eventhough its a few levels below the ground.

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: corc ]

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

33e has a bug this is making farm plots show up incorrectly. If your spot has outdoor native plants to pick, you can brew them and plant those seeds in your "underground" farms for now.

How my fortress will fair with only stocks of strawberry wine, I don't know...

o matter the cost.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

The seeds you can start with are all subterranean.
Find an area with soil, dig into it, downward if necessary, and make a plot. No need to irrigate.

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

OK, cool, I'm not the only one... where is the bug list and is it searchable? I hate to spam the same topic of a recorded bug  :D

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

o matter the cost.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlienChickenPie:
<STRONG>The seeds you can start with are all subterranean.
Find an area with soil, dig into it, downward if necessary, and make a plot. No need to irrigate.</STRONG>

Not in 33e, a farm bug makes all farms become automatically "outside", making them unfarmable without outside seeds.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

cazelfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

Not in 33e, a farm bug makes all farms become automatically "outside", making them unfarmable without outside seeds.</STRONG>

Is it all farms or just farms that are one Z-level below the surface?  I ran into this same issue with my most recent fortress, so I just dug into the sand below the loam's z-level and was able to farm just fine.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

floors are transperent. As long as you have a full Z-level of stone/soil above your farm, it will work as normal... Until you mine out the level above it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

cazelfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

Stone/soil as in stone/soil walls or just anything that isn't channeled away?  I did my normal dance of "gigantic tracts of farmland just below the surface" and was still able to put plots directly underneath the mined-out areas.