Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need help killing my competitive demon.  (Read 3859 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Need help killing my competitive demon.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:56 pm »

So, I used to have this overly perfectionist streak. Had to be perfect, everything. Didn't matter what it was. Whether it was a motion in class/court or a game of Starcraft. Had to be the perfect god damn bunker rush... completely undetected while scout killing overlords with supply depots blocked off my base.... Had to be the perfect motion, had to have everything perfect and anticipate all counters, and then counter them....

It killed or won, but it didn't kill or win enough.

Then I basically said fuck it at some point. What I do is not perfect, but it will ALWAYS be better than the person who does nothing. That said, you need to move your aim from "perfect" to "improvement." As long as you're improving, then you're doing great.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:49 pm »

What she said.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:47 am »

I reccomend shock therapy.

Play MoBA games like HoN, LoL or DoTA.

You will either rage so hard at your incompetent teammates you'll have a stroke or you'll learn not to treat competitive video games too seriously.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 11:36:37 am »

Why do people always want to "kill their demons"? Demons are fun and you can't win anyway, trying to keep them from getting out just drives you mad. The best way to cope isn't to kill them, it's to learn to let them out at the right time. Embrace your demons, make them serve you.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:51:29 pm »

Why do people always want to "kill their demons"? Demons are fun and you can't win anyway, trying to keep them from getting out just drives you mad. The best way to cope isn't to kill them, it's to learn to let them out at the right time. Embrace your demons, make them serve you.

Morley Dev: Secret poe waiting to unleash his power from a quiet study.

A place of books, chairs, and demons!

What horrors await?

But seriously, it's not competitive drive that needs to be killed-
Its quite a large bit of philosophy that needs to be found.
If you want to tone down all that raw hostility.

It helps if you can bring yourself to cooperate with someone over a significant amount of time.

Weeks, or possibly months.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:55 pm »

Once upon a time I was engaged, I loved video games and playing them with my fiance, after a short while she refused to play games with me because she'd always lose,
That's when I learned how to purposely play games badly and make it look like I'm trying. A very hard skill because I always want to play at my best, but I wanted to play with her more.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 05:48:42 pm »

Have you tried playing games where the goal is to lose gratuitously?

...Like DF?

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:07 am »

I reccomend shock therapy.

Play MoBA games like HoN, LoL or DoTA.

You will either rage so hard at your incompetent teammates you'll have a stroke or you'll learn not to treat competitive video games too seriously.

Yeah this. Play these games and see how hard you rage. Then, quit it completely. Uninstall.exe
I would be surprised you could ever rage again.

For some more serious advice, self knowledge. Think about how others see you, surely they don't think it's fun when you rage, you take the fun from winning from them! Think about how you are improving, what you could do better  and go at it again.
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 05:34:05 am »

Best way to stop doing something is to do the opposite. You'll eventually get unaddicted.

I KEEP WINNING. Lose.
I KEEP PUNCHING CATS. Stroke them.
I KEEP KILLING PEOPLE. Save someone.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:34 am »

Hmm, I really really like winning but I suck at everything so I never win at anything I play with my friends, so I've learned to deal with losing.

Idea. Play something difficult with someone who's good at it. Mayby you could stop caring of the results and enjoying the game, that's what I strive for. When things go south I take it with humour. I'm the one who makes most jokes about my win percentage of 5% in wh40k, as I try to lighten the mood. (All others have 20-40%)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:06 pm »

Play something ridiculously easy to win.

Over.

And over.

And over.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »

Embrace your demon, and let it out only when needed.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE
Pages: 1 [2]