Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: new challenges?  (Read 4963 times)

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: new challenges?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
You could use rewalling/floors to build a giant statue.

Good idea, but I think it would be even better to make a statue out of some huge cliff without rewalling. That's what I'm going to do.

Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

Well, you could always try a challenge.  I've been thinking of a challenge type that I don't think has been suggested before.

"Aztec Dwarves"

Find a jungle area with an obsidian layer.  Magma optional (it's just too cool, I couldn't leave it out entirely).  Construct a town above ground, using only wood except for temples and other important buildings (bonus points for a pyramid with sacrifice options).

All weapons are to be made out of obsidian or wood (I suggest modding spears so they can be made with stone), armor is to be cloth, leather or wooden if you can get a hold of it.  Mining shafts are allowed, in case you decide to make some gold items or something.  Just don't build anything but very rough forward mining outposts underground.

If you insist on farming underground, only use sweet pods (somehow rum seems more tropical...), otherwise, make large farming fields for various above-ground crops.  Bonus points for dying cloth with Hide Root or Blade Weed.

I think that just about covers it.  If you decide to make items out of other metals with magma, try to make the whole thing look like a fire temple or somesuch.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

If it's not too much of a hassle with rewalling, extra digging, removing and replacing your stuff, you could always have central heating in your fort. Make every wall three wide and dig out every middle tile. Completely dig out every second floor and fill everything up with lava to keep your Dwarves warm in this cold wintertime.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 [2]