Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water and wounded  (Read 1999 times)

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water and wounded
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

So I just dealt with my fortress's first real invader, a legendary Titan. Despite having no weapons but the axes my woodcutters came with and a couple of crossbows with about five bolts apiece, I took it down with only one loss because I am awesome.

My awesomeness did not extend, however, to preventing about half the fort from getting wounded in some way while they beat a tore a giant flashing death machine apart with their bare hands. And herein lies the problem, because I'm on an ocean map and the dorfs refuse to touch any water anywhere, no matter if it comes from the ponds or the aquifier or wherever. I just patched it not recently- do the recent patches fix the water fetch bug to include alcohol or allow any drinking whatsoever on maps with bad water? It'd kinda suck to lose only one unit to the monster and then lose the entire rest to poor health care and alpha status.

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water and wounded
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

Eeeeh, did you try designating a Drinking zone over a few tiles of land and the body of freshwater? Like a resevouir or something.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

I have heard that the ocean waves are counted as good drinking water. Can you collect them into some kind of a pond and designate water source zone there?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

All water on ocean maps apparently counts as salt water (even the pools and aquifer).

If ocean waves are fresh water (I don't know) you could just build a chamber down 1-zlevel from the beach, then dig a channel that the waves flow over into it, and it will slowly fill up.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!