Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best trap type/configuration for dealing with berserk dw  (Read 2716 times)

Mr.Northern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Best trap type/configuration for dealing with berserk dw
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Since traps will trigger on berserk dwarves I would like to unobtrusively line some of my empty floor space in key areas to deal with any crazies that may spring up amongst my population.  What type of trap is going to work best for this, since I obviously don't want to just line every open tile with stone fall traps, nor do I want to waste time and resources sticking 10 iron or steel weapons into every weapon trap.  I have zero experience with anyone berserking so I have no idea how tough they are going to be to stop.  Thanks for any insight.

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best trap type/configuration for dealing with berserk dw
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I find assigning three war dogs to a moody dwarf when I know I can't fufill his demands. It seems to be extremely efficient.

If hes already berserked then try to throw a cage trap on him.

Crazy dwarves are nice additions to zoos. "See there Adum: thats what happens to dwarves who listen to the voices when they tell them to create an item!"

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: Mystry ]

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

Build your workshops behind doors, and seal the place until the dwarf dies.

Cruel I suppose but they're the ones that were demanding materials impossible to acquire.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

last version (the 2d version that is) traps DID NOT trigger on berzerk dwarves. I do not know if it's been fixed this version or not, before you do anything fancy I suggest confirming that traps will work.

I usually just lock berzerkers into the room with the shop till they starve, or rewall them into the shop if I know they are going to fail. If you insist on traps  and they work, just drop a weapon trap with 1 steel serrated disk (or 2 iron, maybe 3 bronze and 4 or 5 wood/glass) outside the doors of every craft shop, that should be plenty to kill or at least cripple any unarmored dwarf.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Almost every time I've had a berserk dwarf, dogs have taken him down.  Of course,  I'm actually going to assign dogs to those Dwarves now.   :)

hamsterfury

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

I don't know how your workshops are setup. I usually have several rooms each with either the same or similar workshops with one doorway for exiting. Make the doorway 2 tiles deep, so there is at least one space where a dwarf HAS to walk over. Then.... cage trap that spot. Still works in the most recent version, and takes out any dwarf. Works well if a legendary dwarf goes crazy. Then instead of having him killed, you can make a zoo where the helpless psychos can stir and have peanuts thrown at them.