Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Star Prospector RTS/RPG random universe generation  (Read 5743 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Star Prospector RTS/RPG random universe generation
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

http://www.cryptstone.com/star_prospector.htm
Addictive? Check!
Random content generation? Check!
RPG levelling? Check!
Loot whoring? You Betcha!

RPS just wrote about this gem and I thought I would give it a whirl. 3 hours went by. 3 hours I should have been working through. Download the demo http://www.cryptstone.com/ and forget about getting anything done for the next 4-400 hours.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only a simple mind can be certain.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Prospector RTS/RPG random universe generation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »

Def on my buy list!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:04 pm »

This game starts off so simple and dated feeling but the gameplay mechanics soon evolve and it is really giving me a very satisfying playing experience. Looks like no sleep tonight.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:43 pm »

i just started in on it, fun so far
I got nothing

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:14:12 am »

Interesting. Watching this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:22:59 am »

I've just spent the last few hours playing through the demo.  It's kinda fun, but (judging from the demo) the gameplay isn't particularly complex or advanced.  There's also a few design choices that baffle me.  Being able to keep units and resources after the end of a mission would make a lot of sense for both the setting and RPG mechanics.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:22:55 am »

looks like a regular tower-defense game with movable units

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:06:08 am »

Played through demo, it gets reallllyy repetitive and the grind to get better units/buildings takes a while.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:40:28 am »

looks kind of promising, anymore feedback would be appreciated

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:45:41 am »

I've just spent the last few hours playing through the demo.  It's kinda fun, but (judging from the demo) the gameplay isn't particularly complex or advanced.  There's also a few design choices that baffle me.  Being able to keep units and resources after the end of a mission would make a lot of sense for both the setting and RPG mechanics.

Could be like the Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander universe where the introduction of nanobot technology has revolutionised combat to the point where battles arn't between huge fleets of units but rather single commanders who can create entire armies seemingly overnight.

that COULD justify it... There are a few others. It never bugged me that much that I never got units to cross over.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:59:23 am »

I haven't had a chance to play the demo or watch any trailers but just from the first three screen shots posted the art style/interface reminds me heavily of an oldish Stars Wars "4Xlite" called "Empire At War".
This is in no means a bad thing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »

Mission instances? Looks like Space Rangers 2 or Spore GA. Not sure if good.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:03 pm »

i played the demo, it did seem a bit shallow to me actually. The randomish worlds meant there was little tactical decisions to make. each world is essentially an open space with some stuff scattered around and the mission objectives. Each time i build my base, its the same grind over and over of placing the same buildings in the same order. Mass up some combat units then pour out and copmplete mission.

I guess i didnt get  that far into it, i lost a mission after a long grind for no apparent reason, got frustrated and just quit, not to return. Sure its just the demo, and maybe it gets better later, but shouldnt a demo show me the best of what is in store for me? At least hint at it? It hinted of grinding through an "rpg" rts.

Maybe its not done, and maybe they will keep adding features. I didnt enjoy it enough to look deeper into the forums and see, but I do hope my assessment is off. Maybe someday it will be more fun.
I got nothing

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »

Just wanted to bump this and let everyone know that it's currently on sale for $9.99 on Impulse.

I saw it initially at $19.99 when I played the demo last week and let it pass since I'm engrossed in SWTOR at the moment but for $10, it was a no-brainer.

Just a friendly hint, if you buy it from Impulse, use a credit card for payment instead of Paypal. Impulse seems to be having some issues with their ordering system's Paypal integration which means you end up waiting a couple days for someone to manually input your order. :/

BiggTedd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »

Hey folks, BallC420 was kind enough to let me know about the Bay12 forums, and we were happy to see that our little RTS/RPG game Star Prospector has made it's way here!  Great to see some feedback, positive and negative, it's all good, and we do make note of it and try to incorporate suggestions (where possible) into future updates and DLC.  We recently released a new patch 1.01 that incorporates a few suggestions from users on our forums, including multiple game speeds, and we plan on doing more in the future.  Please feel free to share ideas and comment on the game or even chat about indie game development in general, either here or on the Cryptstone forums.  Glad to find this site!

Jason