Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me out regarding updates.  (Read 1170 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me out regarding updates.
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

So I'm new to Dwarf Fortress and am really loving it so far. My question is, that as I'm reading about all the possible future updates to the game, Fortress mode and Adventure mode seem to be talked about without any kind of distinction and it's often very difficult to understand when someone is talking about updates to the former or the latter. Why is this?
Are these two modes being updates side by side, or do all updates function in both of them?

Also I've read somewhere about a 2d and 3d thing but I have no idea what that means...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Help me out regarding updates.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

Adv. mode and Fortress mode are pretty much interconnected, it just so happens to be that most of the updates affecting Fortress mode greatly affect adv. mode as well ;)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »

Some updates are focused on fort mode, others on adventure mode, but big updates like this one will affect both modes. For example, the next version will feature werebeasts, vampires and necromancers in both.
Also I've read somewhere about a 2d and 3d thing but I have no idea what that means...
Originally DF was played on a single z-level.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »

Basically, the game generates a given world, and all updates affect how that world functions and what is in it. Depending on whether you are playing Fortress Mode or Adventure mode, you'll interact with those updates to a greater or lesser extent. For example, Necromancer attacks are common to both modes, but since you can't build a fort on an existing site you aren't going to see any of the new cities in Fort mode. Similarly, the new way Gemcutting works is only going to be really noticed in Fort mode since your adventurer can't cut gems, even if he could find them.

When the updates are smaller, they may contain only marginally perceived improvements to one mode or another, but ultimately it is all DF.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:32:11 pm »

Gem cutting will work differently? How? Where is this info coming from?

I just realized there's a big update coming this month and I couldn't find the feature list yet, other than necromancy.

Also is there a chance that the FPS problems will be fixed or at least lessened? I got ~200 dwarves in the fortress now and it's getting noticeably slower. the shenanigans with the clothing and the marksdwarves not reloading is also kinda pressing IMO..

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:17:59 pm »

There's a list of some patch notes here: Dwarf Fortress Patch Notes

The gem info specifically:
Gems can be cut hella good now by dwarves. Several different types of gem cuts are now possible

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:19:30 pm »

Gem cutting will work differently? How? Where is this info coming from?

I just realized there's a big update coming this month and I couldn't find the feature list yet, other than necromancy.

Also is there a chance that the FPS problems will be fixed or at least lessened? I got ~200 dwarves in the fortress now and it's getting noticeably slower. the shenanigans with the clothing and the marksdwarves not reloading is also kinda pressing IMO..

Here's a handy Google doc outlining the feature changes.

There's a lot there- the gem-specific one is that you can now cut gems in a variety of styles, for whatever purpose that serves.

As regards FPS, I know there's a bit of optimization that's been going on (although a big part of that is just making the new stuff not bog down the game.) Threetoe made a recent post that said he personally was experiencing higher FPS, but whether that will be true for anyone else, I don't know. I know that the big FPS killing bugs like the ones you mention have not been addressed, but we are coming up on a series of bug fixing releases. In the past, Toady spent half that time addressing new bugs from the latest release(s), and half that time on older bugs, some of which dated back to 40d. Presumably that's how things will shake out moving forward.

EDIT: NINJA!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:25:06 pm »

Quote from: Some google doc
No more material based mandates!

Is... that a good thing?  What kind of mandates do we get instead?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »

Quote from: Some google doc
No more material based mandates!

Is... that a good thing?  What kind of mandates do we get instead?

Objects and the like- "Make 3 Swords" instead of "Make 3 Steel Items."

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 01:03:56 am »

"Were-critters initially come about when a world gen NPC defiles the gods, but can later be passed on through an interaction. This includes dwarves in fortress mode!"

Does that mean you can become a were-human by peeing on some rock a random god deemed sacred? I mean, can you become the first in a lineage of were things as an adventurer?

Edit: on second read through "when a world gen NPC" so... maybe not. But we can still hope right?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:05:30 am by Rude »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:57:05 am »

Can we have necromancer werecavy vampires?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:32:35 am »

I think that toady said one can only be either a vampire or a werebeast. No idea if a necromancer can get infected, however. ‼SCIENCE‼ shall need to be conducted.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?