Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me with my Atom-smasher?  (Read 1178 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me with my Atom-smasher?
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »

I've been DFing for a while now, but I'm just trying to build my first atom smasher.  And failing. I assume I'm missing something basic. As I understand it, I just have a garbage dump activity zone under a drawbridge, which I drop with a lever. I've tried both putting a drawbridge over an existing dump (the bridge gets suspended with item blocking site), and putting a new dump under an existing drawbridge (no one uses the dump). What am I missing?

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my Atom-smasher?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »

Put the dump a z level above the bridge with a hole that drops stuff onto the square below.

My set up (from the side):

=_  |
\ /_|

Legend
= hatch (locked)
_ floor
| wall
\ ramp
/ bridge (raised)

The garbage dump is the floor and hole on the top, all loot drops down and gets smashed, the hatch is locked to ensure dwarves/pets don't wander down and get crushed.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »

I've been DFing for a while now, but I'm just trying to build my first atom smasher.  And failing. I assume I'm missing something basic. As I understand it, I just have a garbage dump activity zone under a drawbridge, which I drop with a lever. I've tried both putting a drawbridge over an existing dump (the bridge gets suspended with item blocking site), and putting a new dump under an existing drawbridge (no one uses the dump). What am I missing?

The second way should work.  But make sure you don't have another dump zone elsewhere, because the dorfs only use one at a time.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:43 pm »

Code: [Select]
With the bridge down (looks like this when built):

#.#          L = Lever
  #.#######    D = Door
  #L...DBB#    B = Bridge (raises ->)
  #########

With the bridge up (looks like this when dumping):

#.#          L = Lever
  #.#######    D = Door
  #L...DIB#    B = Bridge (raised ->)
  #########    I = Dump zone

The door serves two purposes: first, when you dump rotting stuff there, it contains the miasma, preventing unhappy thoughts.  Second, when you're ready to pull the lever, you can lock the door to prevent any accidents.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:54:22 pm »

But make sure you don't have another dump zone elsewhere, because the dorfs only use one at a time.

Is that true? I thought they just went to the closest one. How do they choose?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:01 am »

they try to reason out which one you want them to put the stuff in, then choose the other
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:05 am »

they try to reason out which one you want them to put the stuff in, then choose the other

No kidding ... in 40d I remember making a garbage dump and a dwarf thought it was fitting to chuck a rotten horse into the well instead.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 07:32:08 am »

No kidding ... in 40d I remember making a garbage dump and a dwarf thought it was fitting to chuck a rotten horse into the well instead.
Uh yeah, he was probably sick of the taste of well water.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »

Yeah, deactivate all the other dump sites. No need to remove them, just deactivate. Hit 'i', move cursor at the dump site, hit 'a'. Re-activation is done the same way.