Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves ignoring training orders  (Read 831 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves ignoring training orders
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:06:58 am »

I have them train on the top of the watchtower, also they have their patrol route there. I built several archery targets and designated all of them as archery ranges for that squad. The dwarves fulfill their patrol orders, but they don't seem to care about the training orders. I have a minimum of 3 set for every month, but usually none show up. They are on duty, but stay in the meeting area of the fortress. Sometimes there's a single guy shooting at the targets a bit then he goes away as well.
I have wood bolts designated for training and metal designated for combat. I have a big stock of both.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves ignoring training orders
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:17:04 am »

Do not order them to patrol, this disregards their train order as they will stick to patrolling.

On training, to train marksdwarves, only an archery target is needed (if you are only aiming for ranged soldiers). Designate only ONE Range as a room for 'T'raining, expand that room so as to include the Ranges alongside it, that will fix your problem.

Mixing up bolts (like having one group for 'C'ombat and one for 'T'raining) doesn't work as you'd expect it in this version of DF, regarded as a bug or glitch, I'm not sure. Regardless, only designate one group of bolts for Combat and Training.

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:56:58 am »

Do not order them to patrol, this disregards their train order as they will stick to patrolling.

On training, to train marksdwarves, only an archery target is needed (if you are only aiming for ranged soldiers). Designate only ONE Range as a room for 'T'raining, expand that room so as to include the Ranges alongside it, that will fix your problem.

Mixing up bolts (like having one group for 'C'ombat and one for 'T'raining) doesn't work as you'd expect it in this version of DF, regarded as a bug or glitch, I'm not sure. Regardless, only designate one group of bolts for Combat and Training.
I'm not entirely sure, but I am fairly certain that marksdwarves will train with melee weapons and stuff like dodging if you order them to train.
If you leave them inactive, but assign them to a barracks defined from an archery range (not sure if it has to be defined from an archery range), they should train firing their crossbows. Crossbow training is kind of weird right now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:05:10 am »

Training for ranged soldiers is possible with only an Archery Range. The barracks is only needed for demonstration, 'hammer' sparring, teaching and student skills...Basically for melee soldiers.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:39 am »

Thanks for the replies. I have a 10 person squad and its 4 train 3 patrol, so they should be able to do that. I read somewhere on the wiki that archery ranges don't work if you only designate one of them.

I think the problem was with the different bolts mostly. I tried designating metal for all tasks and they sudenly started shooting at the target. Quite costly, but at leas they're getting better.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:18:23 am »

Note, the max size they would possibly load up with is 25 ammo, 1 metal bar = 25 bolts. 1 bone = 5 bolts, just putting this in, you could use ammo that is abundant in your area, like wood.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:57 am »

Bot wont metal bolts do more damage?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:36 am »

Bot wont metal bolts do more damage?
Yup. That's why you train with easy to obtain stuff like bone and wood, and use the metal stuff for real fighting.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:44:10 am »

But my problem is, that if I let them use wood for training and an attack comes I don't know how to get them to put down the wood bolts and pick up the metal ones.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:45:51 am »

Quickly cancel it off, then replace with Metal bolts in the Military screen.

It's now a race to the stockpile, invaders take their time anyway  :P

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »

The problem is that marksdorfs will only pick up one stack of bolts to put in their quiver. If it happens that they pick up a set that is set for combat only, they won't train until they have shot them all at live targets. Even then there is a good chance they will pick up combat only bolts again...