Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves even more unstable than before?  (Read 5093 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Dwarves even more unstable than before?
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

So im trying out the new version..every things going fine. then I draft and undraft a farmer on a break. He goes very unhappy when I do that because he's had to sleep in the dirt and get drafted lately... seems when ever I did that in the old version the dwarves were fine with it
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves even more unstable than before?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

Do you know what level of unhappiness he was at before you interupted his break with drafting? It may not be that drafting him and making him sleep on the dirt was a very overpowering negative thought; it might just be that he's had a rough time lately. You'd be surprised how quickly "outside while raining", "complaints of hunger/thirst", and "lack of chairs/wells" adds up in negative thoughts.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

As I understand it, the unhappy thought for being drafted depends on their skillset.  A farmer with very high planting skills but zero military ability will be much angrier when told to suit up than, say, a crappy novice cheese maker who already has some wrestling experience.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

I've never heard of that scale before, because if it were true, wouldnt that mean all your legendary artifact-crafters would become miserable if you ever drafted them to fight for you? I know there have been occasions when i drafted my artifact legendaries for the direct purpose that they could woop ass with the artifact in their hands and they seemed fine afterwards.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

No, it just means they get a negative thought from being drafted when they have no military skill. If they are quite unhappy already, that might be enough to push them over the edge, otherwise they will just be slightly less happy. If they have some military skill, they don't mind being drafted and don't get a negative thought.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Funny, I was just fixing to come here and ask why I've got an immigrant who is ecstatic about losing a spouse...

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>Funny, I was just fixing to come here and ask why I've got an immigrant who is ecstatic about losing a spouse...</STRONG>
...her husband was a violent drunk?

Heh, it just means that their overall mood is good. They take a hit from the loss of a spouse but they don't seem to take it in quite the same earth-shattering way that we take it. "What a wonderful day. Ducim bled to death in our bed this morning but aside from that it was perfect. I ate in a wonderful dining room and what a magnificent trap I saw at the fortress' entrance. And I got a new pair of rope reed shoes."  :D

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>Spoilerific http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Thoughts</STRONG>
Must... not... click... on... link... to... SPOILER! Aaargh!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pushy:
<STRONG>...her husband was a violent drunk?

Heh, it just means that their overall mood is good. They take a hit from the loss of a spouse but they don't seem to take it in quite the same earth-shattering way that we take it. "What a wonderful day. Ducim bled to death in our bed this morning but aside from that it was perfect. I ate in a wonderful dining room and what a magnificent trap I saw at the fortress' entrance. And I got a new pair of rope reed shoes."   :D</STRONG>

Yeah, but she was a new immigrant, her husband died moments after they arrived when I tried to get him to stop a goblin snatcher. Unless she was just really, really happy when she showed up the only other thought she had was admiring a not-terribly-impressive +sandstone table+...eh, I'll just go with the violent drunk theory, (though come on, he's a dwarf, the second part is a given) it makes me feel less guilty about having to make his final resting place a muddy hole in a hillside and a plain coffin some dabbling mason slapped together because the real one was taking a three day booze break.