Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I was walking through a forest...  (Read 2963 times)

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I was walking through a forest...
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:49:30 pm »

I started a new character (and for the first time ever cheated with Runesmith to make him legendary everything to see how some fighting styles worked) and become a legendary hero in one civilization.  I got bored there and moved very far north to another civilization.  After killing a few bandits and a bronze colossus I want to the local town to ask for a mission.  They told me to go visit a fortress to see the lord, so I started heading that way.  When I got there, there was no fortress on the screen but I was getting the "You cannot travel through a fortress" warning.  This warning and the fortress symbol on the map on the right were the only indication a fortress was even there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got ambushed after moving a few more squares and saw this.
Notice the massive drop in FPS in the first picture and the strange warnings of me and a few bogeymen being caught in what can only be called an explosion in the second picture (those notifications appeared after things calmed down, there were 2 pages of similar notifications.)  At several points I was flying a few Z levels off the ground (probably from the explosion throwing me up.)  Once it calmed down I checked my health and wasn't hurt at all, neither were the bogeymen.  I went back into fast travel mode and went around the invisible fortress.  I exited fast travel once more and walked just a few squares before I got this.
My poor adventurer perished when what must have been an invisible flying fortress fell on his head.  On the top right of the screen where it tells you what is above and below you, it was showing ground 9 and 11 Z levels up.  But with such a low FPS during that event I couldn't look at any of the land.

I searched the forums and haven't found anything that looked like this, so I thought I would share.  The floating land mass wasn't the most interesting thing for me though, it was me flying, the magma mist, and having nothing get hurt or have any landscape changes that surprised me the most.

Seed and world info
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:19:11 pm by Flying Fortress »
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

funymunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I was walking through a forest...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:18:42 pm »

That is... very odd.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:09:53 pm »

Make a new adventurer and go back  :P
That which does not kill me...

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:06 pm »

I wonder if you'd get some of the scattered blocks if you embarked next to it, if it works that way.

Is it because of runesmith somehow? Do you have a way to generate the exact same world? Does the game record the seed for you somewhere?

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »

Give one of the adventurer races the [FLIER] tag (just put it near the top of the creature entry) and go up there to see if there's anything even weirder in the magical flying fortress of doom.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:02:46 am »

Messed up raws maybe?

Could you post the World Seed?

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:41:23 am »

Did you... Did you just make your account under the name "Flying Fortress" so you could post this? :P
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:51:16 am »

Your Gods have forsaken you.

Prepare for annihilation.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 07:01:17 am »

You have begun annihilation.

Prepare for annihilation.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:10 am »

Did you... Did you just make your account under the name "Flying Fortress" so you could post this? :P

Yes, yes I did :P

I'll post the seed in a bit, its on another computer that I can't get to ATM.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:22:39 pm by Flying Fortress »
---

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:30 pm »

(sorry for double post, but this seemed like too much to just edit into the last post.)

Flying around the area now, not seeing much but it seems extremely unstable (and laggy, averaging 4  FPS.)  I spawned a little north of the fortress and a huge cloud of clay can towards the town but quickly cleared out without reaching the town.  This time around whatever is falling is actually landing on the ground and building up instead of vanishing.
I've also "Found a deep pit" and "Discovered an expansive cavern deep underground" and even "Discovered an eerie cavern.  The air above the dark stone floor is alive with vortices of purple light and dark, boiling clouds.  Seemingly bottomless glowing pits mark the surface."  And following this hole all the way down leads to hell.  That would explain the lag (lots of new critters to calculate,) lava mist, and some of the explosive clouds of soil.  But a few things are still not answered like why was I not hurt by the lava, what fell on my head that came from around 11 Z-levels up, and why did a hole appear leading right to hell.  Loud Whispers and IamanElfCollaborator seem to have good ideas though. lol
There was also a lava flow on the surface, I'm thinking I may have discovered the worlds first naturally generated magma piston (or maybe a broken volcano, I died before I could continue looking when I ran into an obstacle  ???.)
I placed the seed info in the OP (hopefully I found the right one, if not let me know.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:39:21 pm by Flying Fortress »
---

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »

Welcome to the world of terrain corruption. I have two options for you.

A. Build a fortress on that spot.
B. Make your base nearby and lure your enemies into the area.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:13:15 pm »

x) Adventure your way into hell.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »

This sounds like the reverse of the Adamentium Spire that showed up on the forums once. Rather then a spire, you get the remains of a ancient sky pirate base and a pit to hell.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode