Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleep Deprivation Testing  (Read 1894 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sleep Deprivation Testing
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:51 am »

Has anyone ever stayed awake for about a week as an adventurer? Because I just did and I suddenly noticed that the Very Drowsy thing on the bottom of the screen has been replaced by a flashing Sleep! indicator. Not wanting to lose my Urist Mc100orsokills, I slept it off, but does anyone know what happens if you stay awake for too long? Can you die from lack of sleep, and more to the point, could you (theoretically) kill someone via sleep deprivation? If so, a whole new branch of torture has been opened up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep Deprivation Testing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:51:20 am »

It seems to do nothing but slow you down. I once spent several IRL hours in the !SLEEP! thing.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:01:21 am »

Huh. Well, who knows. Testing must commence. I'll get to train crutch-walker, too!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:48:24 pm »

Being drowsy provides some fairly severe penalties to your overall speed, making you much less effective. I also believe that it gives a slight bad modifier to any combat rolls that a dwarf makes, but I'm not positive on that one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:19 pm »

I seem to remember that if you ignore it for too long, your adventurer just passes out. Dwarf Fortress is a lot like The Sims in that regard.
[Signature]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:06:28 am »

I seem to remember that if you ignore it for too long, your adventurer just passes out. Dwarf Fortress is a lot like The Sims in that regard.

And it takes around two days of sleep to get rid of severly drowsy tags...

Really dangerous.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:53 pm »

Well, i've tried waiting for quite a while with the SLEEP! tag flashing. Nothing really happened, though when i went to battle, my grandmaster weaponsdude lost quite massively to some ordinary bandits, being unable to both hit and dodge. So, while being slumberous might not kill you directly, it will kill you in a fight. In fort mode, however, dorfs just collapse and sleep where they stand. I've even seen axelords take a nap in the middle of a fight, though mostly a dorf will stay awake until the fight is over, after which they will sleep on a bed of spikes if necessary. I noticed that because i once made a custom monster with drowsiness venom. A stung dorf kept fighting despite being quite sleepy, though he/she collapsed the second the foe was dead, and slept for a LONG time.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »

I once stopped sleeping for several in-game weeks with a high-level adventurer, and didn't die or anything. However, the character wasn't as effective in combat.