Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TrueType SDL fixes?  (Read 1206 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TrueType SDL fixes?
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »

.. Kind of noobish question, but.. What exactly does that mean..?
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
Re: TrueType SDL fixes?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:21 pm »

One of the display modes for Dwarf Fortress is to utilize a TrueType Font instead of the graphical 'font' defaults (or a custom graphics set). However in the current version the TTF... doesn't work very well at all really.
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:22:41 pm »

At a minimum, these bug fixes.  That crash in particular has plagued the current version, so the fix will improve TrueType usability significantly.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »

Halle - freaking - leujah!

Separation of game text and game world tiles was needed as of like, three releases ago. If TrueType support becomes solid, we can all switch to TrueType and the tileset makers can worry about making tiles for the game world which don't also have to be recognizable upper and lower-case letters plus numbers and symbols.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »

Technically, seperation of text and world tiles did get put in the game a while ago. It just caused crashes all over the place when it was enabled. That's what these fixes fix.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.