Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Custom Weapon Reactions  (Read 2528 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Weapon Reactions
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »

Basically, in DF, whips work by whipping a small metal whip tip into the enemy. The tip's small surface and supersonic speed cause it to slam right through armour and break bones.
Whips don't act like cutting weapons here, nor latching-onto-skin-and-ripping weapons, and so on.

I know, they have a ridiculous velocity multiplier, as well as being treated as blunt, so they ignore armor entirely and lop off limbs like a lightsaber due to miniscule contact area. I was just thinking that an actual leather whip might be more realistic, as instead of being lethal it would inflict extremely painful but only skin-deep injuries.

Even modern whips with steel or kevlar barbs on the tip can only make moderately deep wounds, and require a great deal of skill to use as a practical weapon. DF whips could of course be more like a Chinese chain-whip, able to gash and pierce, but those wouldn't be able to break bones easily.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:01:22 am »

I may be wrong, but I believe that blunt damage causes no pain unless it breaks a bone ("bruises" cause no pain).

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:46 pm »

Basically, in DF, whips work by whipping a small metal whip tip into the enemy. The tip's small surface and supersonic speed cause it to slam right through armour and break bones.
Whips don't act like cutting weapons here, nor latching-onto-skin-and-ripping weapons, and so on.

I know, they have a ridiculous velocity multiplier, as well as being treated as blunt, so they ignore armor entirely and lop off limbs like a lightsaber due to miniscule contact area. I was just thinking that an actual leather whip might be more realistic, as instead of being lethal it would inflict extremely painful but only skin-deep injuries.

Theres even more to whips excessive damage output than just that, as for the purposes of the combat calculations the entire mass of the whip is at the very end, so even if it is just made of leather or something soft it is still like being hit by a supersonic brick, rather than just a high-speed tip.

As to the effectiveness of leather whips in game, I would still expect them to perform admirably as being a blunt attack it depends more on material density than the strength of the material and although leather is far less dense than any of the metals it is still within the same order of magnitude.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:17 pm »

Well, maybe we should all run tests with the reaction to see how well the whips perform.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 [2]