Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Consecutive Sieges?  (Read 554 times)

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Consecutive Sieges?
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:35:00 pm »

I got sieged by a single squad of goblins. No big deal, I think, raise up the drawbridge and hope for the best (currently training my military but they're in no shape right now to handle anything.) Instead of going away, though, each season I get a new "A vile force of darkness approaches" message, and a new squad of goblins or trolls will arrive at my map, joining the old ones. This constant siege has been going on for about a year now (I want to cut down wood :[)

Is this intentional, or should I file this as a bug? What's going on?
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Consecutive Sieges?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:34 pm »

Save? This sounds awesome.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:58:54 pm »

High fortress wealth will draw in more goblins.

Bathe in the blood of your enemies and then do something therapeutic like make their bones into crossbows and crossbow bolts. You'll feel better by morning.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »

Here's the save (compressed in a handy zip file)

Note the scattered animal carcasses, incomplete outdoor pasture wall, and hastily-dug channel inside :)
!!carp!!

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:09:40 am »

The Dwarvern way is to open the gates and fight to the death.

However, it is possible to dig out a trap and then open it to the outside by digging an upward ramp. The cheapest trap is probably long thin drawbridges which fill the entire corridor, linked to a lever. When the enemies come in, set the lever to be pulled on repeat, and all invaders will be smashed to bits trying to get through the corridor. Drop traps are also extremely cheap and effective, just dig out a long pit, at least 2z deep - preferably deeper, and build long retracting bridges over it. Then set the lever to be pulled on repeat. Enemies will try to path over the bridge and will be dropped into the pit. If you like you can finish off the wounded gobbos with your military.

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:20 am »

I guess the gobbos eventually rescinded the siege after seeing how useful it was (not at all.)

Must have been a one-off thing. I have a backup save I can upload this afternoon is somebody really wants to check it out.
!!carp!!

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:32:38 am »

this happened to me just in the past game year. a 15 yr strong fortress, I'd have a siege pretty consistently about every other year or so, but I just experienced back to back 50+ goblin sieges, the closest they've gotten to getting past the front door since my very first siege. All I can say is, traps, traps, traps and traps. A tower full of marksdwarves and a masterwork catapult don't hurt. My melee dwarves mop up the stragglers and play games with the caged prisoners in the arena.

It's been a FUN year.