Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a Computer  (Read 3072 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a Computer
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »

I want to build a computer, (my first build) and I'm looking at parts and prices. I know a fair amount about computers, having helped friends with theirs and I also took apart two older computers recently. I think I can assemble it, but I need help with making sure if everything is compatible, and anyone's opinion on whether this will be good or not. I'm open to suggestions for a better HDD as I wanted to get two 1TB Caviar Blacks but they are no longer listed on TigerDirect. I know I need SATA cables and a power cable, but I'm not sure how many SATA cables I need or if I need another type of cable too.

Specs:

Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6269869&sku=C283-2080

Motherboard: Intel P67
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=40969&sku=I69-2234

Processor: Intel i5 2500k
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7073161&sku=I69-2500K

Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 580
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=419882&sku=E145-0586

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=40739&sku=C13-5720

Disk Drive: ASUS Blu-ray burner
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=752604&sku=A455-5031

HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7288043&sku=TSD-2000WD2

PSU: Cooler Master 850W 80+ Bronze
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5309345&sku=C283-1228

Monitor 1: LG 23" Widescreen LED Monitor
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=348815&sku=L49-2350

Monitor 2: I have a TV made by Insignia that I use with my laptop as a monitor occasionally.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5038534&sku=M17-0043

I also considered getting a 120GB SSD to use as a cache(?) for the computer. If this sounds like a good idea, I am still open to doing it. Any suggestions are welcome.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Computer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »

I also considered getting a 120GB SSD to use as a cache(?) for the computer. If this sounds like a good idea, I am still open to doing it. Any suggestions are welcome.

I can comment on this much at least.

How did you intend to use it as a cache?  I've heard of some people using SSDs for the swap file for their computer, but this may not be as good of an idea as you might expect.  For a couple of reasons.

First off the SSD has a limited number of writes that it can survive before the memory cells wear out.  Using it as a swap file will shorten its life as the OS pages stuff to it.  A 120GB disk would still likely last a long time though, because of the wear leveling algorithms built into the OS / firmware.

The other reason is that you might not really even need a swap file.  Depending on what you're doing, you're likely to never even need all of that 8GB of RAM.  I never use all 4GB of mine.  I could be completely wrong of course, depending on just what you're doing.

As for other uses for the SSD, I've read a number of other strategies for putting them to good use.  Some people suggest installing the OS to the SSD to dramatically improve boot times.  Some people suggest installing programs to the SSD but keeping data on other storage media, since it will speed up launching programs but keep wear to a minimum.

That might not be so important with modern SSDs though.  One thing you might want to watch out for with SSDs though is the limited sustained read / write (especially write) speeds compared to traditional mechanical drives.  If you're planning on moving around multi-gigabyte files at any time, I'd suggest you keep them on a mechanical drive.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:29:55 pm »

I was kind of wary about the amount of times you can write to an SSD also, which is why I don't plan on buying one at the moment. As for how to set it up as a cache, I have no idea. I read about it somewhere, and I was probably just going to look up how to do it. After looking more at SSD prices and the limited usage, I decided it might be a waste to do so, especially with 8GB of RAM. This is meant primarily for gaming and normal computer activities.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:36:17 pm »

You might get an AMD HD 7950 instead of that GTX 580. Superior for less, sounds good, doesn't it? TigerDirect does not yet carry 7950s though, it seems. If you can wait a bit, they should get them, too.

With PSUs, some Corsair models are truly excellent (if only for the reason that their OEM is SeaSonic). Here's a great PSU for 10 bucks more than yours: Here. Better efficiency rating, too. (Here's a review, too.)
If you don't want to pay more, you could also get the HX750 instead, which is cheaper. You might get less wattage for the money, but a) even 750W is plenty for your system and b) it's quality you're paying for with these two PSUs. I have the HX850 myself and can only recommend it.

Also, the Intel motherboards are usually not the best choice. TigerDirect's choice of motherboards is suprisingly poor. This, however, is an excellent board for less than the Intel one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:54:07 pm by Dwarf »
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:23 pm »

Do you plan on getting a better heatsink for the processor? You don't particularly need one unless you intend to overclock or expect heat issues in general, but if that is the case you may want to reconsider the RAM unless you're getting, say, a Corsair Hydro series as many heatsink/motherboard combinations can lead to height conflicts where the RAM fins will be too tall to fit under the heatsink. It looks like the motherboard's ram slots have some good distance from the processor but you can honestly never really tell until you've got all the pieces in front of you.

The Cooler Master HAF is a fine case though it is pretty bulky and a bit expensive. Nothing wrong with that as long as it fits your budget and has the features you want, though. I was looking at a cheaper model of it when I was building my PC and it looks pretty well built. The mother board should come with at last two SATA 3.0 cables and probably at least two more of the 2.0 version. (The 3.0 is the newer 6 Gb/s transfer rate, 2.0 is 3 Gb/s) You've only got two 3.0 headers so you may need to think about how that'll fit in if you are interested in an SSD.

Overall I'd say the build looks pretty good, and it doesn't look like you're missing anything important. As far as the SSD goes, most people say to hold off until the market is more stable with better, more affordable options. You can get a less than brand new model and still see some performance increase overall, but I wouldn't recommend splurging on a top of the line yet. I've had mine running my OS and haven't had any issues so far, but it's only been a bit over a year.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:01:33 pm »

Do you plan on getting a better heatsink for the processor? You don't particularly need one unless you intend to overclock or expect heat issues in general, but if that is the case you may want to reconsider the RAM unless you're getting, say, a Corsair Hydro series as many heatsink/motherboard combinations can lead to height conflicts where the RAM fins will be too tall to fit under the heatsink. It looks like the motherboard's ram slots have some good distance from the processor but you can honestly never really tell until you've got all the pieces in front of you.

That is true. Without a better cooler, overclocking is pretty much futile. But if you don't intend to overclock either way, getting an i5-2500K is pointless, and you should probably shave some bucks off and get an i5-2500 instead.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »

I don't plan on overclocking now, mainly because I don't know how to, but there is a fairly decent chance I will learn how in the future, so I think it might be a better idea to get a 2500k now rather than chance a problem in the future.

Thank you for the PSU suggestion, I think that I like that one better than the one I had been looking at.

From what I saw, the AMD HD 7950 is superior, and cheaper than the GTX 580. I think I found one on TigerDirect, Here.

As for a different heatsink, looking at them I see fan and liquid cooling. Which do you think is better, and what are dangers (if any) of each of them.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:08 pm »

Corsair's liquid cooling solutions are quite popular. They go as far as to replace your damaged gear, should one of their units leak.
They also do have the advantage of delievering quite good performance, unrestricted memory clearance and, of course, not having a 2 pounds lump of metal hanging from your motherboard (though this has never been a problem in the past, it's still comforting).

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:48:16 am »

Don't let the brand fool you; Cooler Master isn't that great.

Or, it might be my fans. Either way, the chassis is only as good as the fans.

I have the Cooler Master, and i still have to have the side off of it so my giant 1-foot-tall desktop fan can blow into it all day.

For interior space, though, it's pretty good. Comes with these little black plastic slithers. You clip them onto the side of your HDD and click them into the shelf in the tower. No bolts, no trays, screws. Brilliant. <3
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:06:24 am »

Personally the interior of that case looks cramped to me. What's with all the internal boxes and stuff? It's got a crap load of bays set up for stuff that I don't know that you'll use. While I don't use the space below the motherboard, I'd really not want something there reducing the angle at which I can get into the case. It also makes cleaning problematic since crap will build up back there.

Also not a fan of side-mounted fans, because you've got leads running from your side panel to the PSU. It won't stop you from taking the side panel off, but it IS an electrical component attached to a several pound case component, attached to your power source by nothing but a couple of wires. (And probably not the big meaty ones that go to your video card or hard drive either.) And personally, I'd rather not have to detach an electrical component every time I want to take the side of my case off.

On the plus side, the whole thing is covered in wire mesh, which will stop a lot of hair and fibers from collecting on the inside of the case. On the other hand all that wire mesh probably has some impact on overall airflow.

And at $179 for that case, if you wanted to trim some fat, that would definitely be one place to start.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:11:54 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:41 pm »

As I said, this is my first build. I'm open to suggestions. I don't know brands to much, my decisions are based a lot off of reviews. If you think something else would work better, post it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:18:42 pm »

Just browsing quickly:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376

Check the product images and look at the interior of the case, versus the one you selected. Notice how much less stuff there is inside the case when it's stock. It's also about $40 cheaper.

I'm not saying that's a great case, but in terms of space, I'd prefer it. It doesn't have all the screwless access stuff that your other case does, but like I said, I just picked one at random.

Also you're shopping from Tiger Direct which I believe still prices stuff way higher than Newegg.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »

Alright
First: chipset P67 doesn't have intel quickcache for SSDs, you need a Z68 for that.

Second: Go for AMD graphics, its cheaper than the 580 and better performance right now

Third: kill that case, a good case is around 60 bucks and you definitely don't need a full tower

Fourth: cooling, you will not need liquid cooling if you are not overclocking so i wouldn't even bother

Fifth: blu-ray burner, unless you are making movies which i doubt i rather drop that down to a drive and just buy a cheap external hard drive.

Sixth: buy a second set of ram, might as well occupy all of the slots

Final: get on newegg, its much better service than Tigerdirect.

i have spoken.