Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Figuring out a tantrum source  (Read 1597 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Figuring out a tantrum source
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:43:51 pm »

At the end of my last siege I had a metalworker throw a tantrum.  I figured it was because of the deaths, so I checked the details - no unhappy thoughts except for "the tragedy of art defacement."  Tons of happy thoughts.  I can't figure out how a siege could have led to art defacement - could armor or a weapon have been destroyed in combat (does that happen)? Any ideas?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Figuring out a tantrum source
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 02:45:40 pm »

Maybe a thief made off with a bit of masterwork armor or weapon while you were cleaning up, or did you atomsmash/magmadump any gear? Assuming he isnt some kind of legendary architect who had a "masterwork" design trollsmashed or suchlike.
This is a blank sig.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:08:43 pm »

Art defacement gives a bad thought of 1000 divided by the number of masterworks the dwarf has made.  If the dwarf has only ever made one masterwork, destroying it gives a bad thought large enough to instantly put him to miserable.  If he's made a lot of masterworks, losing one isn't so bad.

As for how it happened, did he make any masterwork bolts?  If a bolt got stuck in a goblin and the goblin left the map, that counts as it being stolen.  Or a kobold could have grabbed armor or weapons and left with them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:02 pm »

As for how it happened, did he make any masterwork bolts?  If a bolt got stuck in a goblin and the goblin left the map, that counts as it being stolen.

My money is on this.  I've seen it happen with wooden bolts.  Frustrating, but the best medicine is to make sure he produces plenty of bolts.  I assume that at least 10 stacks would be enough to prevent him from immediately tantruming at the loss, since a dwarf goes from ecstatic to miserable by losing 100 "happiness", right?  Or can dwarves go over 100 happiness?

Just making tons of bolts would help regardless though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:42:01 pm »

There is no known maximum on a dwarf's happiness - it starts at 100 (middle of "quite content") and goes up/down from there.
* 0 - "miserable"
* 1-25 - "very unhappy"
* 26-50 - "unhappy"
* 51-75 - "fine"
* 76-125 - "quite content"
* 126-150 - "happy"
* >150 - "ecstatic"
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

Do they instantly become insane the moment they go below 0?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »

A tantrum is not a type of insanity. Once they are done tantruming and calm down they will go back to normal. However during a tantrum they may go insane, same as when they stay unhappy for too long, especially if something happens to annoy them further.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:44:56 pm »

You've probably been melting his masterworks.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:41 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no.  I don't know if a dwarf has to stay at or below 0 for a certain period to go insane, or if their happiness has to go a certain level below 0 before they go insane.  Or if it's even known.  Anyone happen to know?  Would be useful information.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:57 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no.  I don't know if a dwarf has to stay at or below 0 for a certain period to go insane, or if their happiness has to go a certain level below 0 before they go insane.  Or if it's even known.  Anyone happen to know?  Would be useful information.

Dwarf Therapist tells you their happiness level. AFAIK the time it takes for them to go insane is dependent on personality traits and how low their happiness is.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:51:16 am »

highest happiness I ever saw was 2000+

just had a baby boy. They must have wanted a son really bad
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.