Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: combat rewrite (mainly for adv mode)  (Read 926 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
combat rewrite (mainly for adv mode)
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:53:14 pm »

My main suggestion is that the combat system get rewritten so that instead of attacking with any weapon outside of your backpack against an opponent, the attacks should be two-tiered. You should get an action with each hand, making the combat somewhat like rock paper scissors, but also adding a myriad of possibilities. The first thing this would change is that it would make it so that you can only wield two weapons, or 1 two-handed weapon. Also it would give duel wielding adventurers more of an advantage because they would get to attack with each weapon. The way i envision the system working is that you get to choose to either attack or block. The blocking would give you the difficulty of hitting gone your body parts and you would choose to block a section (with a shield) or individual bodypart (with dual or twohanded). This way you could perform a counter by actually anticipating an blocking an enemies attack with your sword, and you could hold your shield up to prevent further injury to weakened, or vulnerable regions.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
Re: combat rewrite (mainly for adv mode)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:35 am »

x holds a pine buckler up to their third toe, left foot!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: combat rewrite (mainly for adv mode)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:29 am »

This is the main focus of the Armed Combat Overhaul thread.  Also, there are many combat-related changes slated on the development page:

Quote from: dev.html
Adventurer Role: Hero

* Combat flow
          o Aimed attacks
          o Random "opportunities" that increase/decrease the efficacy of all aimed/specific moves as combat progresses
          o Reaction moments and controllable counter-strikes/movement chances
          o Notion of stance/guard, with varying bonuses/penalties
          o Ability to jump up on and ride opponents if they are large enough (can happen to you too of course)
          o Not being able to hit a giant in the head, hitting a dragon in the head as a reaction when it attempts to bite
          o Notion of overall wrestling position (who is on top of or controlling whom, etc.)
    * Combat styles
          o Combat styles involving weapons or natural attacks with associated stances and moves
          o Ability to learn moves, etc. from others with whom you have a high enough reputation
          o Certain moves may only be available as specific counters, while others might just be regular attacks
          o Ability to create new moves/styles when highly skilled