Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military in DF 2010  (Read 1543 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military in DF 2010
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:09 am »

Thanks Knutor for the support you've shown. I hope Toady One considers this for maybe his next release. I recommend checking out 40D it has awesome military setup but its a tad buggy. In adventure mode fighting is unusually thrilling when you become an overpowered dwarf and fun happens. However it doesn't quite have as much content as 2010 which can be deturing.

Being able to assign a squad wide weapon would be nice, over having to tell each one to wield x weapon seperate.

Perhaps hide already assigned dorfs.

Uniforms are to assign squad wide weapons and armor. You can create custom Uniforms to use. Hiding already assigned dwarves would certainly help out with a few problems with the current military method.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:55:48 am by tilly »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »

Yeah, I thought that too, about hiding already conscripted troops.  However, hiding squadmates might prevent reassigning them, wouldn't it without first removing them.  I guess its one more step, one way, to alleviate a step the other way.  Which is good. 

What gets my goat, is I cannot understand why Toady's interface blinks at the top, the squad and weapon skillset of a highlighted dwarf, as they are perused.  Those are not the most important stats for valuing a candidate for conscription, are they?  Squaded and Weapon type. 

Wouldn't current healthiness and disease resistance, be somewhat more important in a conscript's overall resume?  Possibly his willingness to teach or study, too, since the military training is said to be just about the only place those attributes are raised at.

In forming a squad, I would think weapon type would be a lesser point of interest, as usually a majority of the weaponry are not available, when the first few squads are formed, and when forming it, most warriors not have it.  This could just be my play style, and an observation from my blind views. *shrug*

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 07:36:36 pm »

I dont usually need to call anyone up until midway anyway and by then (as I'm an efficency nut) I try to get as many weapons available as possible in case I need to do a dwarven wave attack to drive off an attack. I never noticed the option to make a squad one weapon, probably just slipped by or something.

Could make it optional to hide squaded troops though, that way if you dont need to reassign, click button and you can browse available conscripts as needed.

I agree on weapons kill being less important, because I usally have say a skilled hammerdwarf use a sword instead even though I have bins filled with hammers, homeforged, purchased, and... "borrowed" from the greenskins. The only time I see a weapon skill as valuable in case I'm in a rush getting a militia together midway through summer is the avoidance of draft bitchiness.
Pages: 1 [2]