Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Mood Questions  (Read 876 times)

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two Mood Questions
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:45:54 am »

First, is it possible to cure a mood such as melancholy.

Second, in general what are some good ways to make dwarves happier.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Two Mood Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:10:00 am »

1: Death.

2: Lots of death.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:23:40 am »

Melancholy is an incurably fatal insanity.

To generate happiness, make individual bedrooms for your dwarves, and a high value dining room with enough tables and thrones.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:47:46 am »

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

1. A failed mood always dooms the dwarf and it can't be cured, but not all dwarves behave the same when insane. When a dwarf suffers from melancholy, he will slowly wither away and die. The ones that go stark raving mad are somewhat more fun, and will go around and scatter clothes all around the fortress, giving the other dorfs hauling jobs. But when a dwarf goes berserk, quickly lock him in a room or take him down, as he will try to slaughter anything he can until he dies.

2. Individual bedrooms, smoothed and engraved and not too small. Place statues in them if you can too, and place quality statues in high traffic areas so the dwarves can admire them. A big, decorated dining room helps the most.
Also, whenever a dwarf dies, bury him as soon as you can. His demise will be quite a downer for his family and friends, but not as much as seeing his rotting corpse spreading miasma in the main hall.