Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing oddities on freezing map  (Read 654 times)

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing oddities on freezing map
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

I started a fortress on freezing map, and because my 7 exiled dwarfs didn't manage take any food with them before they started their journey, my only option for food was fishing in cave river.

After digging a tunnel to cave river, 3 peasants were assigned to fish. All of them then started to fish in outside, front of the tunnel. And they didn't catch any fish from "snow covered ice" that covered the whole outside area.

But they did manage to catch something. After a day of unsuccessful ice fishing, I got 3 messages that they all canceled fishing, because they all were unconscious. All of them had mange to slip on ice (I guess) and hit their head and broke their whole left leg. All parts of head and left leg were yellow.

I don't know why they are trying to fish outside, since there is no river. If I lock the front door, they will fish on cave river (that has no fish, as I later discovered) but if the door is unlocked they will try to get outside fish again.  

But 3 identical injuries at same time without any reason (unless there are invisible yetis around) indicates that there is something wrong.

Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing oddities on freezing map
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 03:14:00 am »

Your dwarfs are not slipping on the ice or getting hit by invisible yetis. They have frostbite from it being so cold. Get them inside fast and try to farm if you can.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Your dwarfs are not slipping on the ice or getting hit by invisible yetis. They have frostbite from it being so cold. Get them inside fast and try to farm if you can.</STRONG>

I had a similar problem when my initial workshop was outside for to long, I do love how dwarves are so survival concious they'll happily work themselves to a freezing death just a few yards from a nice warm tunnel.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:45:00 am »

Oh, that explained the wounds.

Still wonder why they all got hurt in same places? And why they were fishing outside?

Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

Hi!

Well, you said there were no more fish in the cave river. Once the dwarves notice that some fishing grounds are depleted, they will look for other grounds. And the rivers aren't the only fishable zones. For instance, on my current map, I regularly get the news that there is nothing to catch in the swamp, because I got a few small lake/swamps around my outdoor river.

So, I suspect that there are some frozen lakes or other places outside where the dwarves think they could find some fish.

Deathworks

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:54:00 am »

The frostbite/inceneration wound generator is a bit clumsy in this version. It was fixed a few days after release and will ship with the new version.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE