Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hurry up & pull that damned lever!!!  (Read 7193 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurry up & pull that damned lever!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 06:15:35 am »

A workaround of sorts is to define a burro(w) that contains the levers and nothing else, and use a custom civvie alert to restrict everybody there.

This.

I always define a panic area with the hospital, food and drink storage, sleeping quarters, prison and the lever room. It's useful not just to get them to work on the levers, but also when the fort is opened to let the liaison in and out, so they don't rush outside to pick litter.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:26 am »

I'm currently using a lever room right next to my -relatively large- meeting room (above which all my bedrooms are positioned).
About 9 of 10 times I order a level pull, it's been done by an idle dwarf in that meeting room.

Works good, but not foolproof.

Also what I've learned to do when you really need a lever pulled:

Check dwarves close to the lever with cancelable jobs (like storing items), remove the pull order and add the order again, go to the (U)nit list and cancel the closest dwarf's job.
If you run time again (you need to do most stuff paused), the closest -now idle- dwarf should pull the lever.
Doesn't work all the time, but it has saved me multiple times.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 06:45:08 am »

The way I do it is this: first I build an object. Let's say I built a bridge.
 Next I build a lever next to the bridge. I built it close because it's quicker and valuable dwarf-power is wasted if I build it in a remote area for the sake of safety.
 Then I build on the fortress. Nobles start coming in and they get nice quarters deep within the complex... and sieges occur.

Before the sieges appear I make a control room near the nobles' rooms. The nobles don't have anything better to do than to pull levers so if ambushers appear on the bridge and scare people away from the bridge-lever I simply lock the door so the nobles cannot exit their block (and some idler on the other side of the fortress can't claim the job) and order the lever to be pulled. Someone is always on hand to pull it right away.

... in a big fortress I link all kinds of things to the control room though so accidents can happen. It is adviseable to keep the old lever next to the bridge because then you can monitor and cancel the pull in the last time-unit because some Urist has decided to sleep in the crushing-area.
 That is just one of the accidents fun things you can get from a central control room.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Hurry up & pull that damned lever!!! (beep)
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 02:08:43 am »

necro much?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Hurry up & pull that damned lever!!! (beep)
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 06:16:25 am »

necro much?
My bad.  :-[
Didn't notice the previous post was years ago...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 2 [3]