Dwarf Fortress > DF Bug Reports

"Frozen Elsewhere" Frozen Nowhere

(1/2) > >>

Forumsdwarf:
I have 3 wheels in a channeled-out brook that freezes every winter.I have a "bus" that links the wheels to a single axle, and a switchable gear atop that axle.When the channeled-out brook freezes the system freezes.  The 3 wheels all say "Frozen Here" and everything else shows "Frozen Elsewhere".  Good so far.When I switch off the main bus, though, 2 really weird things happen: first, the part of the system disconnected from the main bus stays on "Frozen Elsewhere".  Every component.  Second, the 3 "frozen" wheels start turning and generating power -- on ice!If I disconnect at the next gearbox up the "Frozen Elsewhere" section stays in the middle and the wind farm spins up the rest of the system.I have enough power from my wind farm to power everything with power to spare, so power deficit isn't an issue.Here is a rough diagram of my power system:code:
|
*--%--*--*-(M)
1  %  2  o

The "%%" is an underground pump to increase water flow to my fort.  (I use a lot of water.)  It is well away from outdoors and never comes into contact with ice.Point 1 is the Main Bus.  It is switchable.
Point 2 is the Outdoor Systems Switch.
"o" is a down axle providing power to the fort.
"(M)" is the windmill farm.If the wheels freeze and I disengage the Main Bus (1), everything else stays frozen and the wheels start turning in the ice.
If I disengage the Outdoor Systems Switch (2), everything after it turns freely but everything between points 1 and 2 stay "Frozen Elsewhere".

Cavalcadeofcats:
I have a sort of similar problem that just cropped up. (Playing on 38c.) No watermills - those being the strangest part of the OP's complaint - but I did have just one gear assembly, suspended over ice, that froze. I shrugged and removed it. The entire pumping complex attached to the gear assembly remained frozen - "frozen elsewhere" on every component, despite the removal of the one frozen piece.Very, very strange.Haven't tried removing more intervening pieces yet; may try that next.EDIT: Built another mechanism and the system unfroze.Bizarre.[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Cavalcadeofcats ]

Toady One:
The stuck-in-frozen-elsewhere state is Bug 392.  I'll fold the rest of the report into that.

andreasng:
...i have this. in 47

andreasng:
........ and now all water is liquid but everything is still "frozen elsewhere"
how can this be explained?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version