Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Grow plants on above ocean lvl obisidian island

(1/2) > >>

UristMcTuco:
Hey there,
I just routed a lava flow over a bridge out into the ocean to create an artifical island.
That worked well, although it is a pain in the ass to connect that island to the ocean floor with enough adjacent tiles to build a staircase between them.

Whatever my actual problem is that I hoped it would be possible to water the artifical obsidian surface and make plants grow on it. I mean real plants, not just farm plots.
Turns out that this is not possible?!

First I ran into the problem of the water only drying up completly if its covered by a roof.
But then the muddy floor doesnt change, I tried exposing it to sunlight again after the water dried up, but no luck.

The last thing I could think of would be to house in the muddy floor completly, maybe it needs to be enclosed?

Is there any hope for the to grow plants on my artifical island?

brewer bob:
It's an ocean biome, so (without modding) you won't be able to grow plants there.

Tomsod:
To add, farm plots wouldn't work either.  Oceans just don't support any vegetation at all.  (Obviously this doesn't apply to underground tiles below the ocean; these can grow fungi.)

UristMcTuco:
mmh, ok

I am wondering how that is defined. I mean, the island consist of at least one layer of obsidian. If I dig a cave into that its sand which also does not overgrow.

I did not yet succeed in making a full contact to the ocean floor in order to build a staircase, but thats just a matter of time.
If I dig through I wonder which would be the first layer to overgrow.

I am about to find out I guess.

UristMcTuco:
haha, there would be just more 2 water tiles to turn into obsidian before I finally break through, but gess what after 10 succesful years 5 marsh titans, some goblin attacks and a bridge build across the ocean consisting of 7000 glass blocks... I somehow screwed up my food supply and now everyone is starving.

Everybody hunts for vermin and nobody cares butchering some of the animals.
The bridge is not even fully finished. Its functional and connects a to complete new uninhabited continent... but I guess its for another group of dwarfs to finish the task of making that ocean fortress.

FUN i guess :D

If I abandon the fortress now I can embark again there right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version