Finally... > Life Advice

Help me select a GPU upgrade to play Baldur's Gate 3

(1/2) > >>

Xvareon:
Hello! Thanks for checking this. I've been very interested in playing Baldur's Gate 3, but I balked at the system requirements. I think I can handle it for the most part, except that my graphics card is kind of a brick. If you would, please take a look at my specs, at BG3's specs, and recommend to me what I should get to run it without costing too much. Mainly, I want to know if I will need to change my motherboard to get a video card capable of running this beast. I'm not good about computer hardware.

My budget is around $300.

I will not be playing multiplayer of any kind. I'm not planning to stream gameplay. I don't need super high-quality graphics with bumpmapped water and wavy grass or anything like that; just "good enough" is fine with me, so long as faces don't turn out like wax dolls, etc. etc.

My specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Z170-HD3P
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM (DDR5)
DirectX 12
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 360 Series (18385 MB 2 GB total memory)

BG3 requirements (minimum)
Processor: Intel IT 4690 / AMD FX 8350
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)

BG3 requirements (recommended)
Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)

Ulfarr:
Changing the motherboard today, will mean that you'll have to get a new cpu as well but I don't think that is necessary.

Your CPU is better than the minimum requirements, so your CPU should be good enough.

For graphics, you motherboard supports PCe 3 which is adequate for the game (judging from the gtx 970 min requirment). AFAIK PCe 4 is backwards compatible with PCe3 so I think any GPU from 2015 and newer should be compatible. With that in mind I think your motherboard is still good enough.

About choosing a specific GPU , you'll have to take a few more things into consideration which we can't really help you with.

1) Does your case have the necessary space for the bigger GPUs or should you look for a low profile one?
2) What kind of connection does your monitor have? HDMI? DisplayPort?

With those two and the recommended requirements you should be able to somewhat narrow down your choice for GPU, and after that you'll have to consider the power supply, which might also narrow down your choices.

3) Can your power supply, supply enough power for your new GPU? Does it have the necessary connectors if the GPUs you are looking for need external power?

ChairmanPoo:
You should go to the pc parts shop that is down down down by the river

nenjin:
But be wary of buying hardware from singing maidens by a river.

Xvareon:

--- Quote from: Ulfarr on January 27, 2024, 02:44:36 am ---Changing the motherboard today, will mean that you'll have to get a new cpu as well but I don't think that is necessary.

Your CPU is better than the minimum requirements, so your CPU should be good enough.

For graphics, you motherboard supports PCe 3 which is adequate for the game (judging from the gtx 970 min requirment). AFAIK PCe 4 is backwards compatible with PCe3 so I think any GPU from 2015 and newer should be compatible. With that in mind I think your motherboard is still good enough.

About choosing a specific GPU , you'll have to take a few more things into consideration which we can't really help you with.

1) Does your case have the necessary space for the bigger GPUs or should you look for a low profile one?
2) What kind of connection does your monitor have? HDMI? DisplayPort?

With those two and the recommended requirements you should be able to somewhat narrow down your choice for GPU, and after that you'll have to consider the power supply, which might also narrow down your choices.

3) Can your power supply, supply enough power for your new GPU? Does it have the necessary connectors if the GPUs you are looking for need external power?
--- End quote ---
Thank you for these insights! I'm using a simple 15-pin cable, but I can probably find HDMI easy enough. Thanks for reminding me that was a thing. I'll keep an eye open for a GPU that can still fit with my current board, if at all possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version