Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

v50.11 - How do YOU manage Dwarven labor settings?

(1/5) > >>

blue emu:
Like it says on the tin.

Bumber:
Looks like my current fort's got these custom labors:

* Bone carver
* Stone crafter
* Carpenter
* Stone carver (formerly mason)
* Blacksmith
* Weaponsmith
* Armorsmith
* Clothier
* Gem cutter
* Glassmaker
* Cook
* Brewer
Quality matters for all these except brewer. (Just want speed to keep up with a conditional work order without running dry.) There'd probably be one for wood carver, but I was doing a challenge of only importing wood (which resulted in a special elf diplomat message about "turning a new leaf".)

I start off with one or two dwarves in each labor, then just use legendaries once strange moods and guild halls pick up. Other labors included by default (planter, engraver, etc.) work the same way.

Überzwerg:

--- Quote from: Bumber on December 30, 2023, 04:49:39 am ---Looks like my current fort's got these custom labors:

--- End quote ---
Same here. And I also have custom roles for every moodable skill like Weaver, Tanner, Bone Carver etc.

Assigning dwarfs to workshops is only good for when you like them to use specific materials, but not for workforce control (in a bigger fort). It is lacking a global overview who is assigned where. And it's of no use when you have more high skilled dwarfs than workshops.

(I hate it that there are only 8 different icons for custom work details. Shouldn't be that hard to add more roman numerals...)

I am absolut against the idea to let every dwarf do every job. I don't want that a novice armorsmith gains levels in another moodable skill when there are many other dwarfes that can take that jobs.
I think for weapons and armor everyone is using custom work details, for getting quality output and because a forge is used by so many different professions.
Jobs where quality doesn't matter and that aren't moodable are good for beeing open for everyone. Jobs where speed is important can also be done by everyone when the stockpiles are big.

All my custom workorders are only for one profession each, expect Butcher/Tanner, which I combined into one (for reasons I am not sure about anymore...)

Überzwerg:
But perhaps I am doing it wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zg0spw/please_try_to_use_the_new_labor_system_the_way/

Telgin:
I've embraced the new labor system and don't even use custom labors.  I use the woodcutter, mining, planting, and fishing labors to assign people as needed, but outside of that I just let the game go.  It's very liberating and I really don't see the need to micromanage to get higher skilled people doing jobs.

The two things I've considered making exceptions for are weapon and armor smithing since the quality is supposed to matter in combat, but since even ordinary quality iron weapons and armor trounce the average goblin, the payoff doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version