Dwarf Fortress > DF Adventure Mode Discussion

Why do atrifact slabs get "relocated" in Adventurer mode?

(1/4) > >>

Urist Sonuvagimli:
47.05, Win10.

I raid two towers and a vault. I bring all three slabs back to the mead hall. Put them in the chest in the basement. Then fast travel away and back, took about 3 in-game hours.

Two of the three slabs were gone. Checking the legends mode revealed that the slabs were "stored" back at their original locations. Just "stored", no mention of reclamation, some NPC treasure hunters stealing them etc etc. Slabs just teleported back it seems. Though when I came to the tower and the vault looking, the slabs were nowhere to be found.

How and why does that happen? Is this a bug or a feature? Is it possible to see these artifacts' new xyz location using dfHack?

Rumrusher:
slabs are artifacts and if you don't have them placed in a proper location which if I remember is like a display furniture like a display case or a pedestal sometimes a table in a civ zone the game wouldn't consider them placed in an area properly thus will be open to scattering about.
though the items should be scattered around the site and not totally gone for good.

aradar:
This is a nightmare in the steam version too I really really hate the fact that things move around so much when you retire forts I'm not sure what good it does to simulate people moving things 5 ft and dropping them outside in the middle of the woods but oh well
And it doesn't matter if you do a big map or a small map there's tons of stuff scattered everywhere and I've noticed it's not even stuff that's in your fort sometimes the game generates new tons of items and scatters them everywhere which really pisses me off

And I know it generates new items and a ton of new items because I made a fort several forts and retired them with absolutely nothing but what was on the embark wagon and low and behold when I reimbark that site there's tons of s*** everywhere that I didn't even have. It's pretty annoying to play a game completely about micromanagement only to have 100% of your micromanagement totally destroyed every time you use the retirement feature

Rumrusher:

--- Quote from: aradar on April 26, 2024, 09:27:28 am ---This is a nightmare in the steam version too I really really hate the fact that things move around so much when you retire forts I'm not sure what good it does to simulate people moving things 5 ft and dropping them outside in the middle of the woods but oh well
And it doesn't matter if you do a big map or a small map there's tons of stuff scattered everywhere and I've noticed it's not even stuff that's in your fort sometimes the game generates new tons of items and scatters them everywhere which really pisses me off

And I know it generates new items and a ton of new items because I made a fort several forts and retired them with absolutely nothing but what was on the embark wagon and low and behold when I reimbark that site there's tons of s*** everywhere that I didn't even have. It's pretty annoying to play a game completely about micromanagement only to have 100% of your micromanagement totally destroyed every time you use the retirement feature

--- End quote ---
soo ............... this mess is mostly tied to unretiring is based off the reclaim gametype and that one scatters the fort on returning to the location. in the years of poking around figuring out how to get unretiring to not be that of a mess I ended up learning... I don't care about micromanaging thus found stockpiles is a pain and you're better off just stuffing everything into buildings .
though unretiring does have like one line of code that targets containers to spill them over and this could be sidestep by loading the fort with a different gametype which 10+ years ago was just adv mode to fort mode.
another factor with how unretiring works is clothes refresh which might lead to shedding of extra wears.

aradar:

--- Quote from: Rumrusher on April 27, 2024, 04:33:47 am ---
--- Quote from: aradar on April 26, 2024, 09:27:28 am ---This is a nightmare in the steam version too I really really hate the fact that things move around so much when you retire forts I'm not sure what good it does to simulate people moving things 5 ft and dropping them outside in the middle of the woods but oh well

--- End quote ---
soo ............... this mess is mostly tied to unretiring is based off the reclaim gametype and that one scatters the fort on returning to the location. in the years of poking around figuring out how to get unretiring to not be that of a mess I ended up learning... I don't care about micromanaging thus found stockpiles is a pain and you're better off just stuffing everything into buildings .
though unretiring does have like one line of code that targets containers to spill them over and this could be sidestep by loading the fort with a different gametype which 10+ years ago was just adv mode to fort mode.
another factor with how unretiring works is clothes refresh which might lead to shedding of extra wears.

--- End quote ---

I could deal with it if it just scattered just the items that were on that map at the time of retirement but it makes I swear hundred sometimes or more of new random items that shouldn't exist there like an example I retired before with little to no items and upon retiring it the whole landscape and I mean almost every tile had a book parchment or some piece of junk on it and the bigger your fort and the more stuff you have the worse it is

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version