Dwarf Fortress > DF Adventure Mode Discussion

About size, strength and muscles

(1/3) > >>

Conradine:
Questions about size.

First, can someone explain me precisely the relationship between strength and muscle mass / size?
Second, can a demigod adventurer with maximized starting strength and trained to the limit exceed the normal size limit for his race?
Third, there's any other way to increase ( without modding ) the size of an adventurer?

Last, can the biggest rhinoceros man be large as an elephant man?

Ziusudra:
I don't know how muscle and fat affect size.

--- Quote from: Conradine on September 06, 2023, 09:02:57 am ---Third, there's any other way to increase ( without modding ) the size of an adventurer?

--- End quote ---
Some appearance modifiers will increase their size, such as tall, broad, large, etc. These are applied randomly, the chance of them appearing can vary by population, and of course only happens during character creation.

--- Quote ---[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]

--- End quote ---
From the raws for rhinos (the animal) we can see that a dimension can be increased by as much as 10% but those are very unlikely, the 2 or 5 are much more likely. I don't know how exactly these stack, if the max from all together is 30% or 33.1%. And I don't know how these chances carry over to the animal person - especially since creatures like humans don't hav the length one - but they don't seem to be removed by the animal person variation.

--- Quote from: Conradine on September 06, 2023, 09:02:57 am ---Last, can the biggest rhinoceros man be large as an elephant man?

--- End quote ---
For rhino man to wear elephant man armor, that would be a 41.6% increase in size which even from appearance modifiers, muscle, and fat together seems unlikely. Theoretically from the appearance modifiers, the largest rhino could be slightly larger than the smallest, scrawniest elephant - but getting all 6 modifiers at max/min is so unlikely as to be functionally impossible.

eerr:
"tall, broad, large"
These are derived attributes that come from the average dwarf comparing themselves to the creature. That change happened in a previous version.

Ziusudra:

--- Quote from: eerr on September 07, 2023, 02:56:40 pm ---"tall, broad, large"
These are derived attributes that come from the average dwarf comparing themselves to the creature. That change happened in a previous version.

--- End quote ---
For the second time in as many days I ask if you got any thing to back that up? From the 50.09 raws:

--- Quote from: creature_standard.txt ---   These body modifiers give individual dwarves different characteristics.  In the case of HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH, the modifier is also a percentage change to the BODY_SIZE of the individual creature.  The seven numbers afterward give a distribution of ranges.  Each interval has an equal chance of occurring.

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
      [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
      [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]

--- End quote ---
Though apparently I was wrong about the 25% being less likely than the others.

eerr:
I should be quiet and let the modders work. They know more than I do.

I meant more that 'tall' is an adjective derived from some internal number or numbers... and if those numbers are literally called tallness, then... I'm not sure what to say.
I thought some of the elf adjectives like broad were, in older versions, hardcoded. but we haven't been in that era for ages.
I don't think you can make a dwarf with the adjectives of an elf in vanilla adventure mode, but I could be wrong.

I also thought it was relative to the race doing the examination, since that update.

Is that not the case?

edit: ah I must have had poor reading comprehension, sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version