Dwarf Fortress > DF Announcements

Dwarf Fortress 50.09 Released

(1/5) > >>

Toady One:
Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Release notes for 50.09 (June 28, 2023):

In this release, we're updating the engine from SDL to SDL2, and there are many optimizations to go along with it.  Aside from the optimizations, SDL2 is also the stepping stone to ports.  We have Linux compiling and playable; it just needs some testing.

Moreover, there is now a(n experimental) multithreading option in the game settings that makes the game even faster!

We also have some new individual tree graphics, and an update to grass ramps as well.

This has been mostly the hard work of Putnam!  Meanwhile I've started up on adventure mode - the long work of updating menus and adding audio has begun!  Hopefully we'll have some progress to show their soon, as we continue updating fortress mode as well.

New stuff
   (*) Updated to SDL2 and made many surrounding changes.  Various performance gains!
   (*) Experimental multithreading is available from game settings.

Graphics additions/changes
   (*) Some more trees now have individual graphics (maple, willow, cedar, larch, kapok, papaya, macademia.)
        (*) Updated some ramp images.

GM-X:

--- Quote ---(*) Experimental multithreading is available from game settings.
--- End quote ---

Wow! Congratulations on this one. Thinking adventure mode may not release in 2023?

Justiceface:
The game uses huge amount of CPU and heats up the machine quite a bit in 50.09. I reverted to 50.08 so I can still play. I did try flipping on the multithreading to see if that helped but it didn't seem to.

mikekchar:
I haven't tried the release version, but based on the experimental and beta builds, I think this is due to the increased graphics performance.  I ended up reducing my graphics frame rate to compensate.  YMMV.  I'm looking forward to giving the release a try as I ran into text input problems in the experimental and beta builds (which might be a wine/linux only thing).  Hopefully it's fixed in the release. #fingers-crossed

mikekchar:
Just a quite heads up for others on Wine, you will need to get a copy of msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll and then run winecfg to use it.  If you search the Steam forums, you'll see some instructions.

Another quirk of wine seems to be that the sound volume is *very* low. Now sure why.  I noticed it in experimental, but thought it was fixed in beta.  I might be mistaken, though (I often play with the sound turned off).

I guess the Linux release is imminent, though, anyway.  However, I think this is all relevant for Mac users.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version