Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

Linux DF delayed / Computer death thread

(1/21) > >>

Toady One:
So, yeah, when I was going through the release protocol, I fired up my Linux computer after a year or so of it being off...  and the fan sort of sputtered on, seems to have power, but no signal is going to the monitor.  And...  that's about the extent of my computer knowledge.

I'd like to get this sorted out as soon as I can, but I'm not sure what the best path forward is, as it has been a very long time since I've had to deal with anything along these lines.  It would be cool, if the hard drive still works, if I could just boot up off that somehow, running from another computer, or through some cheap new computer, as it's probably unlikely I can repair this thing, unless people have ideas.

I have backups of the linux DF itself, but it's still a major pain to get that system built again, as we've experienced in the past.

Max™:
Linux is plug and play with hardware, I've got five or six different drives from totally different computers with different operating system combinations that I just hooked up to my new motherboard and can mount any time.

shazow:
If nothing is showing on the monitor, unless one of the plugs is not plugged in all the way, I'd bet that the power supply is faulty. The hard drive is likely fine.

Can you share more about your hardware requirements for the release protocol?

If something as tiny as 1GB of RAM would work, a RaspberryPI might be a fun/easy solution to use with basically no moving parts.

Toady One:
I'm not exactly sure -- MSVC in Windows will happily chug away on 3GB with the incremental linker, but I don't know if it needs to be doing that, or what it was doing in Linux.  I should have taken some notes.  Not sure if experienced Linux people can tell me offhand if 1GB would be fine for a reasonable bulky project.

That is the kind of solution I'm looking for.  The desktop side of this is something I'd like to cut out if possible.  The Mac Mini has been good for me, and it's still running after like...  a zillion years or whatever.  Some little throwaway critter that plugs into a monitor, keyboard and mouse and external drive would be just as nice.

procyon112:
One option needs no computer.

1) Create an amazon AWS account.

2) Fire up an EC2 machine using a default Linux, such as Ubuntu Server (cost is only a few cents an hour).

3) SSH up the files you need and perform build/test. SSH down the finished product.

4) Shut down server.

This setup means not having to deal with hardware at all and just pay a few cents whenever you need a build.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version