Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Catapults only target stuff on the same level?  (Read 3782 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catapults only target stuff on the same level?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:59 pm »

Is it true that they once did destroy tiles? Or did i just imagine that because it would be cool.

Back in 2D, catapults could blow holes in ice, leaving holes in the glacier and/or frozen river.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 05:17:19 pm »

Yeah.  I thinks its much less of a problem that siege engines can't shoot up or down z-levels as it is that they can only fire at exact orthogonal angles.

So ballistas can't target enemies in a small arc in front of them?  I never had a ballista of high enough quality to tell.

But yeah, to answer the OP, siege engines still haven't gotten overhauled for the 3D version and their projectiles interact with the z-axis in some pretty bizarre ways.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:28:10 pm »

Catapults can fire at an angle up to perhaps 30 degrees either side.  My current fort has a nice line of stones along the map edge about that long.

As for whether they're useful or not, no idea.  Usually when a gobbo shows up it's between training shots and the marksdwarves have killed him before the siege operator returns with the next rock.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 08:19:59 pm »

The plural of ballista is ballistae.
That is all.

...On a serious note, no, catapults have not been revamped for 3D yet and are basically useless.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2]