Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 5 (83.3%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series  (Read 14820 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh! I can pop in and kill the siege real quick and repost the save if you want Kesperan?

It's tedious and time consuming, but I know a safe way to kill enough of them to make them leave

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile

Cool. All good by me.

I’ll have a poke around legends mode when you’ve uploaded the save :)
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here you go Kesperan
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17091

If you read my partial entry I recommend some heavy metal music for your background

I oversaw the completion of Gateheaven's defenses

and the utter hell we loosed upon the poor souls of this misbegotten world.

We opened the gates to our trap halls, but forbade all of our fortress to leave less they be brutally killed. We planned for things to go as normal: Doors open, travelers rush in and out ahead of the siege, humans and elves fight over our front door and the survivors charge in to be blended by weaponized machines.

Things became complicated and I will try to explain at my best.

The rush of travelers happened as expected, but as the last ones were leaving they saw the human army preparing to enter the trap hall. In fear, one of the travelers revealed himself as a necromancer and raised every single corpse in the trap hall. Most of the travelers had not finished entering the fort yet and so the hall broke up into one massive fight as poets, scholars, musicians and mercenaries from all across the world were surrounded by undead.

It was a meat grinder and as people fell and died they were raised again as ghouls to continue fighting.

Then the human army came. What I describe to you now is exactly how I always imagined hell must be like:

Half the human army descended to the base of the hall to fight the undead horde and travelers, only after butchering the few travelers who were still above.
The other half attempted to traverse the hall to reach our fort.

The ones attempting to reach our fort got to hear the whirl and drilling of machines and the sickening sound of meat being sliced and bones broken. Those not eviscerated were launched into the pit landing amongst hungry and rage filled dead.
It was raining blood and body parts upon the fighters at the bottom of the pit.

Those at the bottom continued as another necromancer attempting to leave raised even more dead and now damned slayers too.
Killing, killing, killing. I saw one man crawl along the ground desperately seeking to escape as an elf ghoul gestured her hand at him and caused his body agony and would throw him against the floor. She did so over and over and over as his blood flowed.
Horse and Camel skeletons reaped the most bloody harvest as the rain of blood continued above.

Despite overwhelming numbers, skill, weapons and armor the human army could not meet the endless horde of merciless death.

When the battle, finally, mercifully ended, only a handful of ghouls remained. Killed and raised over and over again until their minds were shattered completely. They stare helplessly up at the ceiling of the hall unable or unwilling to move at all.

We have become death and we should feel some regret for our part in this creation, but I do not. For not a single dwarf of Gateheaven died in this siege.
Thus all this horror is...acceptable.

Did our death toll reach the tens of thousands you think? We saw two sieges per season and three in winter and each one had 120-150 combatants, plus pillaging, plus our own deaths, plus all the travelers who'd get butchered by the humans...

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having some technical issues - I can't seem to get the save to show on my saved game list.

I have copied the folder you uploaded into my steam DF save folder, but my game doesn't seem to recognise it.

Any thoughts?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

What an incredible battle.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Check to see that both dwarf fortress and dfhack are set to the adventure mode update

Maybe it won’t let you play it if you’re not on the exact same version

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I looked at the save and the fortress has been retired, so the save only appears in the Start new game menu, that seems unexpected to me (but I'm just a lurker).
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have double checked that I have both DF and Hack updated to the most recent version on Steam.

I don't have the option to start a new game - continue old game only lists my own fort(s) and the only other option I have is to create a new world.

What version did you save the game on Maloy? Surely they should be backwards compatible?

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not just "the latest version", it's the beta branch, for both of them. So options->betas and pick "public beta" and "adventure beta" for both apps
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not just "the latest version", it's the beta branch, for both of them. So options->betas and pick "public beta" and "adventure beta" for both apps

This worked!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Morul Goldenfury, Cougar Man Ranger of The Standard of Control.

Spring 159

I have recently been hired by the dwarves here as a Ranger, as a lookout for the new government. The dwarves have only recently conquered this village, wresting control from the bloodthirsty humans. I find myself in the company of a group of merchants, and their pack elephants. Glorius creatures!

I am told to report to "Mangointango" Earthenquested, the administrator of the Paddle of Ashes, here in Strappedsun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I bump into a militia dwarf. Iden "Self-Defeating" Volalnomal has the haggard thousand yard stare of a dwarf from the famous hellhole Gateheaven. His clothes are soaked in elf blood and he grips an iron pick tightly. He seems less convinced that the occupation of this village is a good idea, strange considering he is one of the occupying dwarves. I guess I should try to find the mead hall, and whatever orders Mangointango might have.

I find the mead hall to the south, and within the administrator. Mangointango seems wearied. He tells me of the terrible death of his son in Gateheaven. What a tragic tale.

I am told of a missing treasure, Rosepondered the steel shield. Mangointango suggests that Pawn Angelbells wants it returned.

I discover from a local child, Salmeuk that Pawn Angelbells is his mother! The toddler seems reticent to tell me where she is, nevermind where her lost shield might be.

I finally find Pawn at the local well. She is covrered in scars, including a jagged infected wound across her neck. I can tell she is also a veteran of Gateheaven. I guess that would be a good place to start looking for her shield. Not sure how to get there though.

I travel around the nearby human villages. Many are garrisoned by suspicious human soldiers, and I find a bronze sword and iron shield.

I inadvertenly stumble into the shrine of a bronze colossus, and manage to run away without injury. I spend the night in a human town, and on speaking the lord, I find that Gateheaven lies to the west.

I finally find the famous dwarven fort and cautiously enter from the south. The sandy ground is littered with arrows and bones. I am hungry, and my drunian heart stores are running low. I spot some fish in the river... an easy target!

And so lies the corpse of the cougar man Morul Goldenfury, killed by a small fish.

Here is the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17093

Perhaps some brave adventurer would avenge me by slaying the horrible fell beast Notchspear?

Thoughts so far: Adventure Mode is hard, as it seems the majority of features are disabled. You cannot trade/exchange goods with people you encounter. You cannot butcher animals you kill, which means you will run out of food if you are a carnivore like a cougar man.

I couldn't pick a dwarf of our civilisation to start with. Cougar man gave the option of either of the two villages that we conquered. Might be reasonable to play as an animal person who is capable of eating fruit, or a dwarf/human from an alternative civ.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

alright. Maloy, that post was amazing and everything I want out of a succession game. simply amazing. the trap hall truly is hell, i regret building it... it is horrifying.

Gateheaven has become eponymous, it is a 'Gate to Heaven' for all who arrive.

and yeah, I just about died laughing at your milkfish assassination. ahahahah. and the local government felt like impaling your body too, icing on the cake..

unfortunately adv mode is hamstrung atm, hopefully they get it fully implemented before the end of the year (rolls eyes).

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

Jesus christ what have we manifested in this world?? Those skeletal animals are horrifying, i forgot to mention on my turn the goblin ghouls near the front door just standing there doing nothing, they're still a fixture.
I'm amazed a milkfish is even a creature and not an item type fish like other small ones. In gateheaven even the fish kill. So kesperan are you continuing your turn? If not who's is it?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Impaling my body was particularly uncalled for, I feel.

Apparently milkfish grow to a maximum of 10000 urists, same size as a gremlin.

If Maloy is happy I will happily give it another go with an alternative adventurer. Cougar man is usually a good choice since they can use human, dwarf and goblin armour but it seems carnivore is off the menu.

Alternatively someone else can make a new fort?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I’m cool with you continuing since you died so early!
If anyone else wants to play some adventure mode before we start the new fort feel free to post to let us know!

We have truly built a beautiful monstrosity in Gateheaven lol

Them impaling your corpse is so extra especially since you are a citizen of the civilization lol.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15