Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 100747 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2070 on: April 02, 2024, 09:21:34 pm »

Right on time!  :P

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 03, 2024, 10:33:33 am »

"Maybe they're saving up for something?"

"Oh yeah, like that."
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 03, 2024, 11:00:14 am »

Heh, I have an addiction for such strikes. Not that they are very impactful on the war effort but they do serve as a source of dopamine. And as you can see, I tend to become whiny when there are no such strikes for long periods of time.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 05, 2024, 08:26:37 am »

Have another dose of dronage (though probably you already heard).

(Unrelated, geopolitically, but the other day Myanmar's "government in exile" did some drone attacks upon the military capital... Definitely become  the tactical zeitgeist, at all levels of militarism.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 08:31:01 am by Starver »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 06, 2024, 02:09:06 am »

Seems like things are going well on the drone front but how are things on the ground?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 06, 2024, 03:30:50 am »

Well, the Ukrainian call-up age was lowered the other day (from 27 to 25, I think?), but that can of course only be in anticipation of need for manpower. (Defensive or offensive, reactive or proactive, but will always involve a boot-camp delay and everyone advising behind the scenes will of course know that this can't do anything about 'now' or the recent past any time soon.)

Also, I think this was a measure already sent through by the legislature a while ago, but Z. had held off signing until last week(?) so fully anticipated and also probably subject to various layers of go/no-go (according to the 'now' pressures in some ways).

...in short, it's not going to be any less of a meat-grinder, for either side. But I doubt there's much newsworthy change since the reported withdrawl from that noted town recently, that had apprently been soaking up so much of Russia's effort. And that seems to have been more an ammo-related decision than a manpower one.

(But, importantly, I'm only repeating/reinterpreting/passing on what has drifted my way via global news - I've not got any actual inside track on this. And, if I had, I probably be waffling away on a games forum about it, especially in the presence of those who might be directly affected, would I? Not in the face of people who are much closer to events than me and can at least claim to have more highly-ranked armchairs than me, and certainly have more skin in the game.)

edit: Meant to mention Russia's current efforts against Kharkiv. But I would imagine that any recent decisions to pull back from other places was done in order to be able to still defend/counter against threats on this part of the map, and others like it. It's doubtless a very symbolic aim, for both sides and probably no easing off by either. Several deaths from Russian drones is the latest news, but I think that meatgrinder will also be active where the ground-action currently is around that area...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 04:09:34 am by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 12, 2024, 09:50:11 pm »

Austria has been severely compromised. Investigation has shown that Russian agents have taken over their police and secret service over the past decade.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/diepe-russische-infiltratie-in-oostenrijkse-politie-en-veiligheidsdienst~b2903fdd/
Vienna secret service headquarters has been used by the FSB for years as a forward base of operations.
The best course of action would be to annex Austria and make it part of Germany, in hopes of transforming it back from Russian useful idiots to European country.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:52:32 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 12, 2024, 10:09:10 pm »

Austria has been severely compromised. Investigation has shown that Russian agents have taken over their police and secret service over the past decade.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/diepe-russische-infiltratie-in-oostenrijkse-politie-en-veiligheidsdienst~b2903fdd/
Vienna secret service headquarters has been used by the FSB for years as a forward base of operations.
The best course of action would be to annex Austria and make it part of Germany, in hopes of transforming it back from Russian useful idiots to European country.
That article is paywalled. Is it pertaining to this? https://apnews.com/article/austria-spying-scandal-russia-ott-marsalek-wirecard-8921f3ce95b30646ee1952bf8949a43f

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 12, 2024, 10:14:37 pm »

Yeah it looks like that is a similar report.
My Volkskrant's paywall can be easily circumvented by using Firefox + NoScript Add on (stops any and all Java scripts from running without explicit permission, can recommend). Apparently their paywall is a Java Script. Using NoScript unlocks everything except photo specials and some in depthh specials that are labelled 'subscribers only'.  I notified them even of their easily breachable paywall. Luckily, they're a lovely newspaper and are in favour of freedom of flow of information. Most of their articles are free if you know how to and they don't care. Or rather, they care enough to not change that.

EDIT: if you can afford to do so, pay their subscription. Support decent journalism. I would if I could afford.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 10:17:35 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 12, 2024, 10:18:52 pm »

Yeah it looks like that is a similar report.
My Volkskrant's paywall can be easily circumvented by using Firefox + NoScript Add on (stops any and all Java scripts from running without explicit permission, can recommend). Apparently their paywall is a Java Script. Using NoScript unlocks everything except photo specials and some in depthh specials that are labelled 'subscribers only'.  I notified them even of their easily breachable paywall. Luckily, they're a lovely newspaper and are in favour of freedom of flow of information. Most of their articles are free if you know how to and they don't care. Or rather, they care enough to not change that.

EDIT: if you can afford to do so, pay their subscription. Support decent journalism. I would if I could afford.
Oh, that's convenient. I normally try that, actually, but I somehow didn't think of it this time after unsuccessfully trying a proxy I usually use (12ft.io) instead.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: April 13, 2024, 02:20:28 am »

Makes you wonder how many places have Russian mooks in positions of power around the world.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: April 13, 2024, 03:52:37 pm »

Well, I hope Iran will be too busy now to provide stuff to Russia.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: April 13, 2024, 04:41:01 pm »

Which is an interesting twist, now that I think about it.  Do we have any idea how much Iran was supplying Russia recently?  It seems like Russia would have pressured them to not attack Israel if they were relying on their exports, but maybe they thought they had more to gain by distracting the US.  They've also started setting up their own drone manufacturing plants, haven't they?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 13, 2024, 04:50:47 pm »

Which is an interesting twist, now that I think about it.  Do we have any idea how much Iran was supplying Russia recently?  It seems like Russia would have pressured them to not attack Israel if they were relying on their exports, but maybe they thought they had more to gain by distracting the US.  They've also started setting up their own drone manufacturing plants, haven't they?

Iranian Shahed drones are of the largest impact, Russia did localize the production to some extent but they still receive parts from Iran. 

They also reportedly provide artillery ammunition via the Caspian Sea but the extent of that is unknown.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: April 13, 2024, 05:03:29 pm »

If anything, there are internal synergies at work.

Iran's manufacturing of drones for Russia allows them to further fund and develop the ability to use drones for their own military.

In addition, the War in Ukraine has offered very limited opportunities for Iran's drones to hit nautical targets.
Iran's attacks likely help Russia technologically.

... they're really quite inconvenient to Russia geopolitically.
If US funding of Israel and Ukraine increases (remember, they're linked now), it will likely be due to fears of Iran. Which probably benefits Iran, as it means more business.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141