Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cracked Mirror  (Read 1930 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked Mirror
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 06:44:00 pm »

Spoiler: Hireshite Amerete (click to show/hide)
You wake up.
Finally, for the first time in however long, you can think clearly, move correctly. The abrasions and rope burns on your ankles and wrists have healed. Even your body's minor aches seem to be gone. The ceiling above you is dark, made of large stone blocks and lit by flickering candlelight. This still isn't home.
You sit up and look around, assessing the location you found yourself in. You seem to be in a simple wooden bed, on a firm mattress, with a pair of thin but opaque brown sheets, one over you, one under you, with a pair of ordinary but firm pillows at the head. beside the bed is a tiny bedside table, holding a single candle, or more accurately a tiny nub of a lit candle, resting in an open brass candlestand surrounded by a massive layer of accumulated molten wax, so much so that it had formed a mountain and dribbled all the way down to the floor, a large pool and mound of it resting there below the table. As a whole, the room was quite barren, the walls and floor are made of large stone blocks matching the ceiling, and there are no decorations to be found anywhere. It's also quite small, the square room slightly over 8ft a side, about 2.5m. On the far wall there's a single door, made of wood, with a simple brass handle on this side underneath a brass keyhole, and hanging from a coathook in the center of the door is a single brass key.
You assess yourself briefly, finding that despite vaguely remembering being stripped of your possessions, forced to wear nothing more than a single dirty and oversized white shirt for modesty, you're now wearing clothing quite familiar to you, and even... you check, and yes, even your knife has returned.
The place is deathly silent, there are no hums, no rattling, no chirping, or murmurs, nothing. Only the sound of your own rustling can be heard at all, and you seem to be entirely alone.
What do you do now?

Spoiler: Taarkara (click to show/hide)
You wake up.
Finally, for the first time in however long, you can think clearly, move correctly. No longer are there bindings on your wings and claws, and even the abrasions and damaged feathers from where they were seem to have healed. This nest you're in however is a woven thing of brown cloth, nothing like your own. This still isn't home.
You look up and around. You're in a small room, barely larger than the crow-sized nest you woke in, dimly lit by light filtering through some kind of translucent colored wall on one side. The other walls seem to be made of simple plain featureless stone. On the lit wall, there is a dark spot near the center, with a single large wooden peg near the bottom of the circle jutting out far enough to comfortably roost upon it if you so chose. It is deathly silent here, the only noises to be heard sounds of your own making. There are no hums, no rattling, nor rustling. no chirping, no murmurs, nothing. You seem to be entirely alone.
What do you do now?

Spoiler: Celosia (click to show/hide)
You wake up.
Finally, for the first time in however long, you can think clearly, move correctly. The heavy metal restraints on your paws are gone, the abrasions they'd left upon you fully healed. Even your minor aches seem to be gone in fact, and you feel quite well. Still, you need to know where you are, and glance around.
You seem to be in a small pile of brown sheets, resting on a large circular rug near a lit fireplace in a tiny room, the walls lined with book-filled bookshelves and the corners without the rug revealing a stone block floor, though oddly not a single book has a label on the binding. on the wall opposite to the fireplace is a small stone arch that seemingly overrwrote the book-lined shelves of the surroundings, a couple books seemingly cut in half by the edge of the arch's stone. upon the arch's keystone there is a tiny engraving of a bell, similar to the one you used to, no, wait, which you have once more. You assess yourself again, realizing that your previously lost collar, which had been replaced with a metal chain, has seemingly returned, though upon a tiny shake of the head you listen and the bell doesn't quite sound the same. It... it has a resonance, a sound on a frequency that you have never heard before, one which is hard to describe, faint and high-pitched, in addition to its normal sound. Speaking of noises, the room itself is extremely quiet, the only sounds to be heard the noises made by your own movement, and the crackling of the fireplace flames.
What do you do now?

Spoiler: Duh? (click to show/hide)
You wake up.
Finally, for the first time in however long, the fog over your thoughts has mostly faded, the aches of your body reduced to mere aches and nothing more. The abrasions and rope burns on your ankles and wrists have healed, and though you still feel modestly unwell, you're finally able to properly assess your situation, and even to take action about it. As your eyes open, you see that the ceiling above you is dark, made of large stone blocks and lit by flickering candlelight. This still isn't home.
You sit up and look around, assessing the location you found yourself in. You seem to be in a simple wooden bed, on a firm mattress, with a pair of thin but opaque brown sheets, one over you, one under you, with a pair of ordinary but firm pillows at the head. beside the bed is a tiny bedside table, holding a single candle, or more accurately a tiny nub of a lit candle, resting in an open brass candlestand surrounded by a massive layer of accumulated molten wax, so much so that it had formed a mountain and dribbled all the way down to the floor, a large pool and mound of it resting there below the table. As a whole, the room was quite barren, the walls and floor are made of large stone blocks matching the ceiling, and there are no decorations to be found anywhere. It's also quite small, the square room slightly over 8ft a side, about 2.5m. On the far wall there's a single door, made of wood, with a simple brass handle on this side underneath a brass keyhole, and hanging from a coathook in the center of the door is a single brass key.
You assess yourself briefly, finding that despite vaguely remembering being stripped of your possessions, forced to wear nothing more than a single dirty and oversized white shirt for modesty, you're now wearing clothing quite familiar to you.
The place is deathly silent, there are no hums, no rattling, no chirping, or murmurs, nothing. Only the sound of your own rustling can be heard at all, and you seem to be entirely alone.
What do you do now?

Spoiler: Timothy Valentine (click to show/hide)
You wake up.
Finally, for the first time in however long, you can think clearly, move correctly. The abrasions and rope burns on your ankles and wrists have healed. Even your body's minor aches seem to be gone. The ceiling above you is dark, made of large stone blocks and lit by flickering candlelight. This still isn't home.
You sit up and look around, assessing the location you found yourself in. You seem to be in a simple wooden bed, on a firm mattress, with a pair of thin but opaque brown sheets, one over you, one under you, with a pair of ordinary but firm pillows at the head. Resting beside you, in fact almost wrapped in your arms, is a large and warm dark-brown egg with red cracks spiderwebbing it on all sides. beside the bed is a tiny bedside table, holding a single candle, or more accurately a tiny nub of a lit candle, resting in an open brass candlestand surrounded by a massive layer of accumulated molten wax, so much so that it had formed a mountain and dribbled all the way down to the floor, a large pool and mound of it resting there below the table. As a whole, the room was quite barren, the walls and floor are made of large stone blocks matching the ceiling, and there are no decorations to be found anywhere. It's also quite small, the square room slightly over 8ft a side, about 2.5m. On the far wall there's a single door, made of wood, with a simple brass handle on this side underneath a brass keyhole, and hanging from a coathook in the center of the door is a single brass key.
You assess yourself briefly, concerned, because despite feeling well, your body just... doesn't seem quite right. Something doesn't fit. You look down  finding that despite vaguely remembering being stripped of your possessions, forced to wear nothing more than a single dirty and oversized white shirt for modesty, you're now wearing a proper, though simple, outfit. In fact, apparently you'd been sleeping with boots on. Still, the proportions are all wrong. All your limbs seem too small, and upon inspection you notice that all the wrinkles, the scars, and even the built up muscle, the proof of your efforts, is all seemingly gone. Getting out of the bed to stand up, you learn that your well-trained coordination, your sense of balance and kinesthetics, is ruined, horribly miscalibrated, you stagger and have to brace yourself on the bed for a moment simply to remain standing, your hands awkwardly clumsily grasping whatever they can, leaving you staring at the egg that had been sleeping beside you, and egg that, before your eyes, rocks by itself slightly.
The place is deathly silent, there are no hums, no rattling, no chirping, or murmurs, nothing. Only the sound of your own rustling and the faint movements of the egg can be heard at all, and the two of you seem to be, excluding each other, entirely alone.
What do you do now?

Spoiler: Esselez (click to show/hide)
You wake up.
You sit up and look around, assessing the location you found yourself in. You seem to be in a simple wooden bed, on a firm mattress, with a pair of thin but opaque and oddly heavy brown sheets, one over you, one under you, with a pair of ordinary but firm pillows at the head, and a strangely familiar plush doll in your arms, though you can't recall ever seeing it before. beside the bed is a tiny bedside table, holding a single candle, or more accurately a tiny nub of a lit candle, resting in an open brass candlestand surrounded by a massive layer of accumulated molten wax, so much so that it had formed a mountain and dribbled all the way down to the floor, a large pool and mound of it resting there below the table. As a whole, the room was quite barren, the walls and floor are made of large stone blocks matching the ceiling, and there are no decorations to be found anywhere. It's also quite small, the square room slightly over 8ft a side, about 2.5m. On the far wall there's a tiny doll-sized door, made of wood, with a simple brass handle on this side underneath a brass keyhole, and hanging from a coathook in the center of the door is a single brass key, the work surprisingly intricate and accurate to life despite the miniscule size, and no other entrance or exit to the room is able to be seen.
You assess yourself briefly, finding that despite vaguely remembering being stripped of your possessions, forced to wear nothing more than a single dirty and oversized white shirt for modesty, you're now wearing clothing quite familiar to you.
What do you do now?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 06:52:53 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 07:04:21 pm »

{Where am I?} Taarkara lifted her head and stood there on the nest. Her talons gripped the brown cloth and pulled them down. She saw the peg and perched on it. Taarkara liked staring at the translucent wall. She thought she knew a word for it but couldn't remember any. Whatever, it was pretty look at it. So much so that she pecks at it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 06:10:25 pm by Crystalizedmire »
she/her

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2024, 07:36:25 pm »

All that transpired felt to Hireshite as long, feverish, viscous nightmare. Opening her eyes on too coarse a bed and seeing the stone above her, she thought for a moment that nightmare continues. Sat up, gingerly reached out towards candle’s flame. No, definitely not.

Take a closer look at the key. Are there any distinctive shapes or marks? Peek trough the keyhole. Can I see anything on the other side? Try to remember – where was I when I was stabbed and captured, by whom? Though I never noticed them sneaking up on me, I knew something before.

((I foresee some fun interactions between my character and Celosia. Although, being slow to come up with anything, I'm still not sure just how much of a monster she is supposed to be myself.
EDIT: Dear god, there is a "redacted" character. Is it Devastator, up for some machinations?))
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 08:07:04 pm by MCreeper »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2024, 07:53:04 pm »

Duh?  That candle, its flame might not have to die.

I'll tear a strip of cloth from one of the sheets, or from one of the pillows, or from some of the pillow's stuffing.  If none of that seems possible, my jeans have patched knees, I can get some threads from inside and under the patches there.

I'm going to make a candle so I can keep this flame alight.  I'll try to do well in making it, but I have a mountain of wax to work with and it's fine to just have some cloth to slowly burn, fed from the wax it melts.

Once that is done, I'm wanting to make a wax impression of that key I can see hanging too.  Into a smallish fragment of wax I could try to carry with me; the candle I want to take too.  I'll see if the candlestand is easy to carry; if not I'll just leave my prepared and hopefully longer-living candle there as I start to explore.

But if I can carry the stand, maybe I can use some of the wax to stick my wax key impression to part of the candleholder and easily take both with me.

Then it's time to look under the bed, see what's there, and check the corners, under some of the wax mountain to see what it might have hidden (I can crumble and press wax with my hands and feet, perhaps, and use heat from the candle if I succeed in making a larger candle that I can move around a bit).  I'll check if there's anything in the corners or other parts of the room I can't easily see.  I'll feel the mattress for hidden objects, the pillows too.

Then I carefully make the bed, especially tender with any part I tore material from for the improvised candle wick, and finally see if that door's actually locked, and if the key actually matters there.

This could be multiple-turns worth of actions; if not interrupted by something else occurring, no Duh? but I'm calm and methodical about these goals.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 07:55:14 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 06:25:05 am »

Celosia

Hold still at first, while taking in the environment.  Stare at the arch; books surround it, but what is inside?  More books, a plain wall, a door or a passage?

After checking that... leap to the top of one of the bookshelves, hiding between it and the ceiling.  Then groom my entire body, especially my tail... tails.  Make sure everything is good and healthy.

Once groomed, take a deep breath, and sniff the air.  Check for strange scents.  Signs of whoever put me here.

And if the turn runs long enough without anything notable happening, reach down and pull a book out of the bookshelf, letting it fall to the floor.

((I foresee some fun interactions between my character and Celosia. Although, being slow to come up with anything, I'm still not sure just how much of a monster she is supposed to be myself.

((o.O))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 09:26:42 am »

Val takes a few deep breathes, filling and holding before exhaling. Obvious oddities aside, he feels better today than most hungover mornings, even if the room is a mite strange for a flophouse or county jail. He glances at the egg curiously, "What the hell kind of hen laid you, pal?" He shakes his head, then turns to walk carefully to the door, putting an ear against it and listening closely.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 08:39:28 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 12:33:31 pm »

Esselez

"(What... happened to me?)" Esselez hops to her feet, halfway expecting to stumble, but... no drowsiness. The only disorientation is the strange place she finds herself.
No exit. She feels a sense of panic welling. Was she walled in here? What happens when the candle burns down? But panic won't help right now.

Esselez cautiously approaches the tiny-door, and sets down the doll on its feet, facing the door. She watches it expectantly.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 09:06:18 pm »

Spoiler: Taarkara's action (click to show/hide)
Moments after Taarkara hopped on the peg, distracted by the translucent wall and about to peck at it, she felt her talons involuntarily seize up, forcing her to grip the peg as tightly as she could, whether she wanted to or not, and the peg suddenly and violently retracted towards the dark circular section of wall, a section that snapped open, splitting into equal halves that retracted into the walls beside them while Taarkara found herself yanked into an open dark abyss.
Within the looming darkness the sensation of movement does not stop, if anything it accelerated further, and in the middle of her reaction to this abrupt involuntary dramatic change in her surroundings something hard and metallic is forced into her beak, jammed in place from somewhere and by something currently unknown, and in the following instant a circular opening full of light snaps open before her and her peg, dragging her along with it, is shoved out the other side and accompanied by a single loud GONG!, the entire trip taking less than a single second but the speed and violent acceleration of it making every tiny moment of the event seem to stretch into an eternity. Upon arriving at the other side of the opening Taarkara regains control of her talons, and the sudden loss of tension causes her to catapult off the peg and into the air where she barely manages to regain enough control of herself to stabilize and reorient before crashing into the dangerously close stone block wall.
Upon the other side of the opening Taarkara finds that she's within a large stone block corridor with evenly spaced doors on either side, most of them human-sized wooden doors, but some of strange shapes or sizes, but all of them perfectly evenly spaced. The hallway is lit by rings of glowing green lichen forming thin rings that cover the walls, ciling, and floor in a large loop, exactly one ring between each pair of doors. Every fifth ring of lichen has a glowing purple mote of light within it near the ceiling, the odd and dark forms of lighting making it difficult to pick out details without getting close, and leaving some sections of the hallway darker than the rest. At one end of the hallway is a large opening through which can be seen a series of empty shelving racks in some kind of large room, lit from above by some form of steady but bright firelight. At the other end there is an ornate archway with some kind of glowing blue symbols carved into the blocks it is made of, followed by another hallway highly similar to the one Tarrkara is currently within.
Glancing back at the place she came out from, Taarkara sees a large wall-mounted analog clock, stylized similar to a human house, a pendulum visibly swinging back and forth below it, and closed circular double doors sized to herself built into it above the clock face with that same peg near their base. The clock face however has no hands, only the numbers, even though Taarkara can hear it tick in response to the pendulum, and the clock is placed where elsewhere in the hallway there would have been a door.
Finally, the metal object in her beak, the one that had been shoved within during her trip through the darkness, wasn't clearly visible while still in her beak, but seemed to be some kind of disk, and the edge sticking lopsidedly out the left side of her beak appeared to be some shade of shiny yellow, though the odd lighting meant guessing color in here was highly unreliable.

Spoiler: Hireshite's action (click to show/hide)
Inspecting the key, Hireshite finds it to be mostly plain, with a small hole near the handle with black ribbon running through it forming a small, bracelet-sized loop that the key hangs from. Inscribed on the key's handle near the loop is a single word: 'Kurdow'
Peeking through the keyhole, Hireshite sees... nothing. Just infinite black void stretching on endlessly, an eternal expanse of void... Or it's just too dark to see anything.
Hireshite collects her thoughts, attempting to remember how she'd initially be captured. She was... yes, she had been returning home after... an errand? some... some kind of task. It was the evening in any case. late evening. early night? it was dark and quiet, safe. Sound travels so well in the night air, and there weren't the loud noises of daily activity to obscure things. There was no way someone could sneak up on her there, she'd hear them long before they could get close, and she was in the middle of the street, far from obstructions someone could hide behind to wait for her to pass. It was the safest place she could possibly be. Most wouldn't even know she was there in the first place. What had happened... it was impossible. As for afterwards, attempting to see the faces of her captors, she... her memories of that time could not be trusted. They made even less sense than her initial capture, her mind foggy. She'd seen faces of friends, of foes, of beasts, memories of past pains intermingled with new ones in a nonsensical hallucinogenic blur. Paired with the initial prick at her back when she was captured, the precise nature of it and odd pushing sensation under her skin as it happened, she had to have been injected with some kind of hallucinogen, and kept in a drug-filled state during her time in captivity.

Spoiler: Duh?'s action (click to show/hide)
Deciding that a single candle is insufficient, Duh? improvises a second one. Tearing a strip of cloth from the sheet he woke under, Duh? slowly and carefully dips it in the melted pool of wax left by the candle, but accidently sets the cloth alight in the process before it had properly absorbed the wax, leaving him with no more wick to work with. Still, the original remained, and it wasn't difficult to tear out another strip of cloth to make another attempt, this time gently pouring the wax out onto the strip instead of putting the cloth next to the flame, which seemed to work, but would require time to let the cloth fully absorb the wax.
In the meantime, he bent down and broke off a large piece of the hardened candlewax, taking it and attempting to form an impressioning block out of it, taking advantage of his body heat to make it pliable, before going over to the door and picking up the key, pressing it into the wax in order to attempt to make an impression of it. This... doesn't go as well as he'd like. The wax doesn't seem to have an even consistency, small pockets of air and uneven heat throughout making it require different amounts of pressure to leave an impression in different places, distorting the image. The wax itself also doesn't seem to be quite the right kind, unable to retain the minor details of the key's edges accurately even when his eighth attempt did manage to give him an almost accurate shape at first. and finally, he doesn't seem to have a case to protect the wax after making the impression, making it warp and distort from even simple handling despite his best attempts to be gentle and separate it from his body heat after the impression was made. Still, he managed to make... something... somewhat key-shaped? It would probably be unwise to attempt to use it as a proper key impression, but he could try if he really wanted to.
At least breaking the candleholder free from the wax cementing it to the table went well, and so he did manage to acquire a strip of waxed cloth, the preexisting candle, and the candleholder containing it easilly enough, as well as the key.

Spoiler: Celosia's action (click to show/hide)
The inside of the archway is also books, again the edges of the books and the stone blocks of the arch do not properly align, the arch cutting through them leaving several books only being book halves.
Looking up Celosia saw that it would be difficult to jump to the top of the bookshelves, because they extend all the way to the ceiling, built into the walls themselves and packed so tightly that the wall behind them cannot be seen. Still, grooming was fully possible, including both of his tails... shouldn't there only be one of those? anyway, cleaning himself was simple enough. After that it was time to take a quick sniff, a sniff that found... nothing. Not even the musty smell of aged paper and dust, despite the bookshelves full of books right beside him.
With nothing interesting going on, Celosia decides to aleviate his boredom, and reaches up to pull down a book, intending to leave it lying on the floor, but instead finds the book to be firmly stuck in place, refusing to move in the slightest, no matter how hard he pulled. switching targets to one at the floor's height, he tries again, and once more it is completely rigid and immobile, as though it were glued in place.

Spoiler: Val's action (click to show/hide)
Val finds the door quite unresponsive to his questioning the egg, a complete and total silence comes from it, not the slightest vibration or noise can be heard. The egg on the other hand doesn't seem to be so patient, as it rocks once again, slightly stronger than the last.

Spoiler: Esselez action (click to show/hide)
Esselez drags the heavy sheets off her and hops... drifts... down to the floor. What. Still, she finds it trivial to approach the tiny door, and she sets the doll down before it, expectantly waiting for the strange doll to take action for her. The door is clearly sized for it after all. Yet... nothing happens. The doll simply stands there as she placed it, and she still is far too large to fit through herself.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 10:25:01 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2024, 09:09:07 pm »

Esselez

("Go on, little one. Take the key.")
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 09:12:53 pm »

Duh?  Now it's time to look under the bed, see what's there, and check the room corners, and under some of the wax mountain to see what it might have hidden.

I'll feel the mattress for hidden objects, the pillows too.

Then I carefully make the bed, especially tender with any part I tore material from for the improvised candle wick, and finally see if that door's actually locked, and if the key actually matters there.  I intend to take the key, candleholder, and both candles with me either way, but I'm going to try to open the door a little and look out, if it seems openable with or without using the key.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:19:51 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 07:24:21 am »

Nothing to be done. Carefully free the candleholder, with help of a dagger if at all needed, unlock the door, pocket the key and head out, candle in hand.
((Something tells me I won’t be able to pocket the key after I go for the handle, but it makes sense to free the hand and put things in their places before touching it.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2024, 10:14:20 am »

Val slips the key from the coathanger and moves back to the bed. He leans over and taps the egg gently with the key. "Ah, ain't like I've got anywhere to be. Open up, little one," he chuckles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2024, 12:59:14 pm »

Celosia sits in front of the bookshelf, staring at the rigidly attached books.  His tailtips flick in annoyance.

"...I don't appreciate this theatre.  Could I please have an explanation?" he says, not really expecting a response.

After several long seconds of silence, Celosia walks to the corner of the room to the right of the arch, picking out the book furthest from the arch and lowest to the ground.  He tries to claw at the back of the book, only intending to mark it.  Whether or not the book resists this defacement, he'll sit down in that corner and turn to face the fireplace, then ring his bell repeatedly with a paw.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2024, 05:59:01 pm »

{What is happening?} The caw didn't sound quite right as Taarkara was holding a shiny in her beak. She flew closer to the lichen to investigate them. If had enough time, she would also investigate the blue symbols.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 06:34:53 pm by Crystalizedmire »
she/her

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2024, 04:14:49 pm »

Spoiler: Esselez action (click to show/hide)
Seeing that placing the doll down did nothing, Esselez gently urges the doll to move, to act on her behalf, but to no effect. She stares at its immobile form, wishing it to move, willing it to act on her behalf, for it to do as she desired, to be an extension of her will, and she finds her perspective suddenly shift, rushing towards the doll in a blur, and within an instant, she's looking out at a massive oversized world, her body swollen and soft, her eyes wide, her limbs lacking fingers and toes, and when she looks back up at where she had previously stood, there's nothing there.

Spoiler: Duh? action (click to show/hide)
Duh proceeds to search every inch of the room he possibly can reach. He looks under the bed, and finds nothing, not even dust. He looks in the corners of the room. Nothing. Under the wax? Nothing. Inside the mattress? there's something there, but it feels like... yeah, that's a spring. Unless he's prepared to rip the mattress open and inspect the insides directly it's unlikely he'll find anything interesting. Well, what about the pillows? nothing hard inside them, could rip one open and look at the insides to check, but it's unlikely there's anything interesting there.
Given the utter mundanity of what was found, Duh? proceeds to make the bed as best he can despite the ripped sheets, with a piss-poor result. It's just not possible to make sheets that have been ripped apart bare-handed and had strips torn away look any form of good and proper, and he's still tired and unwell, all the searching and crafting in his sick state leaving him with little energy remaining to attempt such a futile task.

Spoiler: Hireshite action (click to show/hide)
breaking the candlestick and candle free from the dried wax is fairly trivial for Hireshite, and she takes it in hand, unlocsk the door, pockets the key, and opens it, the door creaking loudly as it swings open.
Upon opening the door and stepping out, she finds a stone block hallway with evenly spaced doors on either side, most of them normal wooden doors like her own, but a few rather oddly shaped or sized. Yet all of the doors are perfectly evenly spaced. The corridor is lit by rings of glowing green lichen forming thin rings that cover the walls, ceiling, and floor in a large loop, exactly one ring between each pair of doors. Every fifth ring of lichen has a glowing purple mote of light within it near the ceiling, and odd and dark forming of lighting making it difficult to pick out details for any that aren't near her and her lit candle, and they leave some sections of the hallway darker than the rest. At one end of the hallway is a large opening through which can be seen a series of empty shelving racks in some kind of large room, lit from above by some form of steady but bright firelight. At the other end there is an ornate archway with some kind of glowing blue symbols carved into the blocks it is made of, followed by another hallway highly similar to the one Hireshite is standing in. At the base of the archway with the blue symbols is a crow with something reflective sticking out the side of its beak, looking at her.

Spoiler: Val action (click to show/hide)
Taking the key in hand, Val returns to the bed and gently taps the egg with the key while encouraging it, the rocking pauses... then resumes with increased vigor, and soon a single large crack begins to form, leaking some clear fluid. a true crack instead of the entirely visual ones he'd seen spiderwebbing the egg before, and after what feels like an eternity, it expands and a maroon-scaled lizardlike nose pokes out slightly, followed by it poking its head out a little bit before resting, looking out at the world, and up at Val.

Spoiler: Celosia action (click to show/hide)
The empty room fails to answer Celosia's demands, and upon attempting to claw at the book, he finds it scratchable, but resistant, like wood, and his claws leave a trailing mar upon the book's spine.
After defacing the book, he turns and faces in towards the fireplace, then sits and plays with his bell, ringing it repeatedly, at which point the room rapidly begins to shrink all around him, stopping only once the arch is smaller than him, and the ceiling is easily within reach.

Spoiler: Taarkara action (click to show/hide)
performing a minor hop-flight to the lichen, Taarkara gets a close look at the brightly glowing thin mosslike plant... it... it's a plant alright. glows a bright green, doesn't seem to react to being pecked, the lichen is lichen. She then flies over to the archway of blue symbols, noticing as she passes that one of the dark sections of hallway actually hid an unlit corridor to the left side with some kind of lit opening at the end of it. Upon her arrival, she finds the symbols to be... well, some kind of symbols. They aren't in any language Taarkara knows, if they're even a language at all, and they don't respond to her pecking at them, though she hasn't gone past their archway at this time.
Behind Taarkara she hears a creaking noise, and looking back, she sees one of the doors in the hallway swing open, revealing a human woman with shoulder-length blonde hair in shoulder-length ringlets to either side of her face, a dark brown beret with matching cardigan, and a puce dress with white ruffled petticoat. The outfit is completed by knee-high stockings, leather boots, and a leather belt with a leather purse dangling from it. She's holding a lit candle in a candlestand with one hand, and is looking around the hallway, the orangy light of her candle providing clearer illumination than the lichen and motes of purple light provide on their own.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 07:13:56 pm by Lenglon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4