Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get War Dogs roaming free?  (Read 1509 times)

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get War Dogs roaming free?
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:51:00 am »

Once a War Dog has been trained at a kennels, it appears to follow the dwarf who trained it. Considering that the trainer spends most of his or her time at the kennels, this isn't much help.

So, what do people do to get their war dog population more spread out? Is there a method to 'detach' them from the trainer?

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
Re: How to get War Dogs roaming free?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:55:00 am »

IIRC In the dwarf preference screen you can assing him trained animals...
So try assing one of your guards the war dogs.

Doukutsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »

Just putting them up for adoption under "z > animals" seems to do it for me.  My dwarves are usually pretty quick to snap up an available wardog. It seems to spread them out, so much as I've actually paid attention at least.

There has always been at least one wardog nearby when something pops up so I haven't really had the need to find a better way.

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:14:00 pm »

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was concerned that one dwarf would claim a lot of pet dogs, but then that's not much different to a trainer having a lot of 'pet' dogs anyway.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »

quote:
I was concerned that one dwarf would claim a lot of pet dogs

Thats what happens 90% of time.

quote:
that's not much different to a trainer having a lot of 'pet' dogs anyway.

But thats not nessesarily bad, you know. I always build kennels outside, just to the side of the main entrance, thus keeping most dogs in that area. Its immensely useful during sieges, for stopping thiefs, snatchers, and whoever else. Inside the fortress i just build lots of traps.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

The bad thing about having a lot of pets is that they all take up coffin space. Alternatively, if you don't have coffins, your dwarves will get depressed because their pets are rotting.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 11:52:00 pm »

Yeah, but what do coffins take up?  Just have a legendary mason churn them out; as an added bonus, he'll use up all your useless rock.  Then place them in the emptied-out mines or something.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One