Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:02:30 pm 
Started by Gunner-Chan - Last post by Flying Dice
I'd stopped buying it for the exact same reasons as you, but it's really nice to have the option to prep my own for cheap when 90% of my vacations are a week or two of hiking and kayaking in bumfuck nowhere. IMO this is the way to go if you're going to eat it at all. Good-quality lean grass-fed ground beef isn't the worst thing in the world as long as it's not loaded up with preservatives, HFCS, and salt. (You can also do it with ground turkey but it feels like it's harder to find good quality there. You can theoretically do salmon jerky as well but the stench is unbearable.)

Going off of US average prices, a 1lb pack of good ground beef is ~$6-7. You get ~1/3 of the starting weight in jerky, or ~5oz and a bit. If you're talking store-bought jerky made with high-quality ingredients, you're potentially looking at $4-6/oz (if not more), and a lot of that weight is filler in some brands. Homemade is closer to ~$1.50/oz. That pound of chuck can give you two weeks worth of relatively healthy high-protein snacks for the price of a coffee or cocktail. That's without even getting into being able to guarantee no nitrates are in it, knowing exactly the condition of the spices used, being able to do custom flavor profiles instead of "salty", "salty with fake BBQ smoke", or "salty with one red pepper flake per bag"... I have this one I make with garlic powder, red pepper, local honey, and Worcestershire sauce that's killer.

on: Today at 09:59:10 pm 
Started by Devastator - Last post by IronyOwl
Hm. Maybe we should retreat for now.

Is there anywhere else left to explore?

on: Today at 09:35:01 pm 
Started by Gunner-Chan - Last post by Frumple
that is the exact reason i haven't learned to make jerky at home, yes

so long as it's expensive and murderously salty i won't kill and/or bankrupt myself eating it ahaha

on: Today at 09:20:36 pm 
Started by Meph - Last post by Eric Blank
If you make them a detailed-caves civ with no settlement biomes they won't build any sites, and thus have a decent chance of getting wiped out, but there's no guarantee they will.

on: Today at 08:25:55 pm 
Started by Gunner-Chan - Last post by Flying Dice
Got myself a food dehydrator, been making ground beef jerky, fruit leather, kales chips, &c. Finally got the jerky timing just right and oh my lord this is a danger to have in the home.

on: Today at 07:52:47 pm 
Started by evictedSaint - Last post by TheFantasticMsFox
Agreed!

Quote from: Resources Purchase Contract
House Sinister shall send 12^ to House Vix, in exchange House Vix will send 4 units of alloys and 10 units of food to House Sinister.
Lord Tyrannous, of House Sinister
Lady Vulpetia, of House Vix
[/quote]

ACTACTACT: Bid "Wings of Love"

Spend 25 Food on growing one pop on each planet.

Spoiler: House Vix (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wings of Love (click to show/hide)

on: Today at 07:32:11 pm 
Started by RoseHeart - Last post by RoseHeart
Sure, https://perchance.org/ai-text-to-image-generator

I prefer to use image generators that trained on consensually contributed images, rather than scraped from the internet.

on: Today at 06:46:37 pm 
Started by Akura - Last post by Eric Blank
Raid will be effective for the current nest, but it wont stop more of them coming back. I dont know if anything will.

Sometimes small nests like that occur frequently because of another larger nest nearby that is providing constant population growth thats expanding outwards and keeps finding the same sites suitable for building new nests. If you can find and destroy the larger nests that will slow growth, and if its in an optimal site they might try to recolonize that location first.

And yeah, unless youre allergic you've got nothing to really fear. Unless you literally have a phobia of pain. Then you have a lot to fear.

on: Today at 06:46:30 pm 
Started by evictedSaint - Last post by FiveBalesOfHay
ACTACTACT

House Harrak submits a bid:

(For the right number of syllables, Emperor should be pronounced Emp'ror.)
Spoiler: "O Emperor My Emperor" (click to show/hide)

on: Today at 06:30:17 pm 
Started by evictedSaint - Last post by m1895
At this point I'll just buy from market.
Spoiler: House Nagant (click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10