Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pokémon: Infinite Fusion | Beginner's Ranlocke (Attempt 2, Deaths: 0)  (Read 2907 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile

Pictured above: the average Cat

Pokémon: Infinite Fusion is a fangame created by a developer named "Schrroms" and featuring the talents of a large amount of spriters and volunteers, based on a modified ROM of Pokémon: FireRed. The main draw/gimmick of Infinite Fusion can be seen right in the above screenshot, featuring the horrifying trespass of God that is "having combined a Persian and a Cubone together." Any two Pokémon you capture can be combined together using a brand new item known as the DNA Splicer, creating a new Pocket Monster with combined stats and movesets. In addition, more Pokémon than just Gen 1 (Red and Blue) or Gen 3 (Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, and LeafGreen) can be obtained: my casual playthrough has a Sylveon. Well, a Sylveon crossed with a Monferno to create Moneon.

But this is no casual playthrough, fellows. Not only is this a Nuzlocke, and not only is this actually my first attempt at a Nuzlocke...ever! But most importantly of all:

It's a Ranlocke.

Nuzlockes are already hard enough. The rules are simple enough, even if they make these Children's RPGs into nightmares: you can only catch the first Pokémon you run into per route, it dies if it runs out of HP and must be permanently boxed or released, and if you black out by losing all Pokémon, you have to restart. And as said before, I've never done one, so already you would expect added challenge. But the kicker is that this Nuzlocke is randomized. Not fully, but Starters, Wild Pokémon, Gift Pokémon, and the Types and Teams of Gym Trainers are all shuffled around. We could find Arceus at the very start or in a bush, or we could track down one of the Legendary Birds only for it to be a Dunsparce.

If the idea of a Nuzlocke noob diving headfirst into Hell sounds appealing, come join in!
We need:
Our Player Character's Name
Our Player Character's Gender
And Our Rival's Name

Comply with Forum Rules, but otherwise, you can call the Rival Headass or whatever. It's going to be impossible to take the game seriously now anyway, XD
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 08:38:31 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Infinite Fusion | Beginner's Ranlocke
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 04:32:32 am »

PTW I can't really think of a name for ether besides that we should be a doctor.

Also really tempted to say that the rival should be called Captain Cunt, but I'm sure someone else can come up with something better.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 01:07:50 am »

PTW I can't really think of a name for ether besides that we should be a doctor.

Also really tempted to say that the rival should be called Captain Cunt, but I'm sure someone else can come up with something better.
If there are no better suggestions, I may go with that.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 05:07:00 pm »

Named after a good man with a giant nose.

And these are our settings! "Insane" randomization, as is shown, can be best described as any Pokémon popping up anywhere and at any time, as is shown here.
And with that, I believe our journey begins!

"If I had to pinpoint the day my life changed forever, it would have to be...that commercial.

"Silph Co's new invention revolutionized not just Pokémon, but society itself."

"It was convenient, but a little scary at first. Especially in my youth, when I got started on this wild ride. Soon after turning ten is when these things hit the market. Everyone was skeptical. Would it hurt them? Was it painful? Can I change them back? Silph Co. was quick to answer. No, no, and yes. They were easy to use, easy to reverse, and served solely to buff your companion's fighting prowess. Once all the big things were taken care of, they sold like hot cakes. Everyone had to have one. Within a week, I saw Weedles and Pidgeottos combined and fighting a cross between Geodudes and Mankeys. It was chaos, but it was chaos that sold well."

"But enough about time and supply and demand. I'm sure you're wondering who I am. My name's Tom, but as of this year, I'm Doctor Baker. Poké-Paleontologist. When it comes to reviving fossilized rock types or preserving the bones of every other form, I'm your man. But obviously, I wasn't always grown and ready to pursue a career of knowledge. Eleven years ago, I was little Tommy "Doctor" Baker of Pallet Town. I was called that because I would always hang around Professor Oak's place and study his books. Maybe that's got me interested in the whole thing."

"Pallet Town...I should probably head home and tell Mom and Leaf the good news. It's not the kind of place you'd expect to birth legendary trainers or renowned scientists. By the time I turned eleven, I was already the first one. It's basically a hole in the wall, not much around but a few houses, the backdoor of Kanto. But it's home."

"As I remember it, my journey really started the morning I got the acceptance letter. I had just seen the commercial again and had run to my computer to check on my stashed Potion when Mom called me downstairs. I was excited, it had to be today, it had to be!"

"I ran downstairs, and as soon as Mom smiled proudly and passed me the letter, I ripped the envelope open. I didn't care what it was. A rejection letter, an accepted application, another pamphlet for more DNA Splicers, it did not concern me! I got a write-back from the Indigo League, the Pokémon League branch here in Kanto! My eyes scanned the pen ink etched against the paper.

"I DID IT!"
"I cheered as much as my little lungs could carry me. Mom congratulated me, my sister Leaf congratulated me, I felt on top of the world! I was a licensed Trainer! I could buy Pokéballs with my own money, capture my own Wild Pokémon, travel anywhere my legs could carry me! Some kid want to be astronauts, or firemen, or doctors. Ironically, I ended up with a doctorate one way or another. But I got my dream job before I could even drive a car. Pokémon Trainer. I put my running shoes on, hugged my family, and raced out the door. Professor Oak had Pokémon waiting for me, I just had to go and grab one. But, as soon as I shut the door, I could hear footsteps from the left. Swaggering ones. It was him."

"I was...not...a mature child. I'm not even really a mature adult, but that's besides the point. His real name is Gary Oak, the Professor's grandson. Nowadays, we're actually really good friends. He's actually still an active trainer, traveling the world while I coop myself up in my office and look at bones. He still makes fun of me for it. But back then? We were bitter rivals, barely liked eachother enough to even both live in Pallet Town. Arrogant, egotistic, a showboat. I'd always call him the ugliest things and he'd shrug them off. Fucknose, Captain Cunt, Dr. Dick. Ugly things. Never in earshot of an adult, of course. My Mom didn't discipline with violence, but she didn't need to in order to be scary."

"As soon as he strolled up, I could feel my eyes roll so far that the muscles almost gave way. He was probably here to brag."

"Called it. Of course he got accepted, too. Gary was a prodigy."
"Yeah, so what? I got accepted, too!"
"I flourished my acceptance letter like it was a flag. He was thrown for a loop, I could see it. Even when he tried to save face, it didn't bother me one bit."

"I'm surprised they let you in! I assumed they had higher standards!"
"Clearly not, if you're also in it."
"Yeah, but you probably barely passed!"

"He checked over his shoulder for a parent. I could have done the same, but I didn't care if I got grounded when I was living an invincible morning out."

"I mean, that's some Bouffalant-shit! How'd you also make it in?"
"I studied. I bet you didn't, you Know-it-All Nutsack."
"Course I didn't! I know Pokémon better than you know your house!"

"He thumbed his nose at me, then. The cretin, I surely thought. It took all my willpower to ask where his grandfather was instead of insulting him again."

"Of course. He then told me, see ya! Like we weren't just in the middle of the adolescent equivalent of a roast session, he strolled off to the lab. Whatever. Viridian City wasn't that far, I thought I could make it before the Pokémon just outside our town noticed me."

"Before I could even make it onto the grass, though, there was Professor Oak, running through the grass like there were wild animals nipping at his ankles, and scolding me for even trying. Wild Pokémon love hiding in tall grass and bushes, so maybe I should have thought better of it, but I still thought I was invincible. Looking back, I'm glad he came back quick. I probably would have strolled my short lived life directly into a trash compacter for all the good I could have done to defend myself. As soon as he brought the Pokémon back up, my heart started racing, even as he took my little hand into his and walked me back into safety. The Professor's a good man."

"Gary was already there, as promised. He was antsy, one foot to another, but he stopped as soon as he saw me. If I wasn't blind by my pre-pubescent desire to punch him, I would have sympathized. We were both nervous and excited. Hearts racing, hands clammy. We were about to get a friend for life today."

"Professor Oak told us that I would get to pick first, which Gary was not having for a second. But Professor Oak shot him down."

"...He didn't actually call him that. But wow, would it have been hilarious if he did. Still, Gary seethed in the corner, and it was time to select my starter from the table. I remember thinking "Well, we're in Kanto, so it's gotta be...Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur!" It had to be, right? But as soon as I saw what was actually in the Pokéballs, and I remember this clearly, I was so baffled that it was the first time I had ever cussed in front of an adult."

"What-"

"-in-"

"-the FUCK?!"

So! There we have Update 1! I have two things to present.
First, we need to pick The Starter and it's Nickname.

Lampent is a Ghost/Fire type and the middle Evolution between Litwick and Chandelure, evolving into the latter when touched by a Dusk Stone. It's Immune to Fighting and Normal Type, resists Poison, Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice, and Fairy Types, and is Weak to Ground, Rock, Ghost, Water, and Dark Types.
Granbull is a full Fairy type. It's weak to Poison and Steel, Immune to Dragon, and resists Fighting, Bug, and Dark Types.
Torterra is the final Evolution of Gen IV starter Turtwig, and is a Grass/Ground type. It's Immune to Electric type, Resistant to Ground and Rock types, and weak to Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice Types.

Lampent resists a lot, but what it's weak to can be matched by Torterra's Ground type moves. Torterra, in turn, is weak to Lampent's Fire-type moves back. Granbull has essentially no part in the triangle, aside from Lampent resisting Fairy. So, there is no wrong answer for what we pick.

Secondly, I am introducing three Mulligans! As this is my first Nuzlocke, I will be on training wheels. These can only be used once, each, in each full attempt/playthrough.
Spoiler: Mulligans (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 05:14:59 am »

Not sure which starter to say since I have no idea what any of them are since I only played the OG game, also I know nothing about the type advantages since I didn't get them when I played it, so when I played I had one critter that was 20 levels higher than everything it encountered including the elite four.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 04:20:42 am »

Torterra of course!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 06:18:43 am »

That's a vote for Torterra! I'll leave this for a bit longer before I update again, so more votes are fine!

Also looking for a Nickname for our Starter!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 02:50:24 am »

I'm terrible at naming things but I feel it should probably be something immature.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 04:10:49 am »

"Tommy! Calm down, it's-"

"CALM DOWN?! Every single one of these things is outside of Kanto, all of them are evolved at least once, how'd you even-GAH!"

"It was maddening. I could not believe it. Three Pokémon who had no business in Kanto, in Kanto. Professor Oak was either a genius, or there was something fishy afoot.[/i]"

"Dude, chill! Grandpa's just well-traveled."

"Well-traveled? To Unova? When'd he do that? I think we'd have fucking noticed!"

"It was like that for a good while, as I went back and forth between incredulity and excitement. Mostly incredulity."

"Once I had my fill of maddening confusion, I turned around and waltzed back to the table in a daze. Honestly, the choice was obvious. Too obvious. Should have known in hindsight that it was a disaster waiting to happen. Of course, at the time, I was just glad to hold power in my pocket. I knew I had to give it the most fitting name for a best friend, something I would be proud to introduce it as."

"...Close enough."

"But Gary, of course, had a better idea. Rather than just picking one and being done with it, he suddenly grabbed two and pulled one of the DNA Splicers out from his pocket! In a flash, he created...something, that's for sure, I still can't wrap my head behind what that thing even was. But he did it."

"GARY, WHAT THE HELL?"

"An understandable response."

"Ah...yes, well, DNA Splicers are used to combine the DNA of two Pokémon together to-"

"I know what it is! Why are you letting him do that? That's not fair at all!"

"Well, I would give you some as well, Tommy, but unfortunately? That was my last pair!"

"First gut-punch just that week. It was humiliating. What happened next, moreso."

"The second came when Gary waltzed up to me, Pokéball in hand, and declared that his fusion would fight my Torterra to determine how much stronger Fusions were to the basic Pokémon. I put up a brave face, but I was sweating bullets."

"What also scared me was the monstrosity he pulled out. Gran..ent? It looked like someone grafted Granbull's skin across a normal lantern. It was easily the most revolting thing he could have created. I sent "Treeass" out immediately. He could take it...right?"

(This is Treeass the Torterra! As you can see, he has the "Overgrow" ability, which powers up Grass-type moves, and the following moves: Tackle (a standard Normal attack), Absorb (a Grass-type move with low damage, but a drain life element), Razor Leaf (a stronger Grass-type move), and Withdraw (a Water-type move that buffs our Defense.)

"Treeass, use Razor Leaf!"

"A quartet of sharpened leaves sprouted from the bonsai on his back, slicing at Granent before it minimized to reduce it's chance at being struck."

"As soon as it could, it unleashed a poisonous Smog in the building. I was paralyzed as I watched Torterra begin choking on the gas, quivering on it's feet."

"I desperately tried to keep him going by calling for Absorption. It drained vitality from Granent, but the toxins in it's bloodstream were overpowering. Just like that..."

"...It was over. Torterra collapsed to the ground, unconscious and unable to support his own weight. I fell to my knees, heartbroken, but Gary paid it no mind. He ran off. My dreams of being a Pokémon master were already over. I was helpless, I..."

"Wait...no, that's not right. None of this is right? But everything's...foggy. I don't-wait, were those even the right Pokémon? Why can't I remember what really..."

"I ran into the horror on the beach that day. Ever since then...it's all been slipping from me..."

Decided to provide an in-universe reason for our now-unreliable narrator. I love storytelling. Anyway, Attempt 1 has sadly failed at the very first battle. Granent was too hard to hit and the Poison from Smog drained our low HP total quick. And I'm not wasting a mulligan, so, now we have to try again.

Should we keep Dr. Baker and Cpt. Cunt for a new telling of the story, or start a brand new adventure? If the latter, we again need a PC Gender, PC Name, and Rival Name.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that didn't go to plan, also doesn't seem fair that he starts with a fusion and we don't.

Also since this might happen again I'd say we should go with the same names.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Infinite Fusion | Beginner's Ranlocke (Attempt 2, Starting Now)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 09:54:33 pm »

So, looked it up. Nuzlockes actually only start when you first obtain Pokeballs. I will still restart this run, but future runs will abide by this rule.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 02:25:29 am »

These nuzlocke things seem really confusing, I should probably look into it at some point to give myself a better idea as to what the hell it is.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 03:09:03 am »

These nuzlocke things seem really confusing, I should probably look into it at some point to give myself a better idea as to what the hell it is.

They're really not, though?

Once you begin your run by capturing Pokeballs, you just have to catch only the first Pokemon per route and nickname it. Once it faints, you can't use it anymore. That's it.

If there's anything else confusing, I can answer questions.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 04:04:30 am »

Oh, that really isn't that confusing, I guess I'm just dumb.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 10:01:59 am »

Why not just continue with attempt #1 then? Or did you delete the save already?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: [1] 2