Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf traitor  (Read 179 times)

UristMcTuco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf traitor
« on: April 24, 2024, 05:06:25 pm »

Hey there, this is related to that other post of mine but I wanted to create another topic because I think its its own thing.

To recap: I had a fortress  in the middle of a lot of goblin sites. This fortress was there to kill as many goblins as possible.
One dwarf created a silk artifact and I gave him the nickname Urist Lagerfeld. He became the General of my civilization later.

The goblin civ I was fighting had one single isolated site far north right in the middle where my civs mountain homes are. I realized this was a very old dwarfen fortress conquered by goblins from my civilization some years earlier.
I fought a few battles on that fortress but having not much luck.
I decided to retire the fortress and start another one next to the one in the north. When fighting battles against the goblin fortress I saw that the defeners where led by UristLagerfeld.
Legens mode told me he moved there right after I retired the first fortress. *** He ended up getting killed by adventurerers, see the other topic.

It seems to me like a huge coincidence that there the single one dwarf who got a nickname first becomes general and then moves to the main enemy site I want to conquer.  The weird thing is that legens mode shows that to his death he was still the general, and he was still member of my civilazation.

So he was fighting his own people :(

What do you think about this? Just regular dwarf fortress?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf traitor
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 03:03:54 am »

Dual citizenship in DF is a fairly common thing and several things can trigger it.  The most common is if a dwarf goes to study with a master somewhere.  They will pick up citizenship of the new civ and also hold on to their old one.  So that's a possibility.  I think that sometimes a dwarf will be snatched as a child, stay long enough to pick up the new citizenship, then escape to their old civ.  Later they go back to the goblins.

In this case, though, it's very possible that the old dwarf fortress still had some loyal dwarfs in it when it was captured by the goblins.  This leads to a site with a mixed claim.  Your dwarf moved there, but DF being DF, ended up defending with the goblins because he lived at that site.

Anyway, lots of potential explanations.  Best to RP it any way you want :-)